well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Eat up your Natto! Way of reestabishing your intestinal biome
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eat up your Natto! Way of reestabishing your intestinal biome
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surprised the Japanese aren't more enthused about seaweed as a life extender.

Maybe because it's already a huge part of the daily diet?

Also, some kinds (the best kinds!) of seaweed have pretty high sodium content.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Surprised the Japanese aren't more enthused about seaweed as a life extender.

Maybe because it's already a huge part of the daily diet?

Also, some kinds (the best kinds!) of seaweed have pretty high sodium content.

But (not sure) they don't seem to consume as much as Okinawans. SIL gets immense plastic jars (and for a while so did I.) Of course, SIL was a daughter of a poor fisherman (who'd have thought she'd end up as the CEO of a Japanese co based in CA? Apart from hard work, her secret was she presented herself to the then-CEO as an expert on American culture and Americanese.
Poor guy he couldn't even manage on the phone!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But (not sure) they don't seem to consume as much as Okinawans. SIL gets immense plastic jars (and for a while so did I.)

Mr. SK does as well (well, not now, since we can't go to the Japanese grocery store now).

But when we lived in Japan, that's how everyone bought it, in big jars. Also, seaweed (the many different kinds, and not just the dried kinds) is in everything. So while I can't speak to Okinawan dietary habits, I would say that in general, the modern Japanese diet contains a lot of seaweed in a lot of forms.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
BTW this is something of a digression, but I'm mystified by what is going on Japan re the Virus and govt handling thereof. Another country where the public stats are hard to believe.

Couldn't believe learning SIL is still commuting to teach at university there! (The Tokyo-based SIL - not Okinawan, as I think you know. That there are two.) It seems there is a lot of top-down denial - perhaps about to be reversed as in several educated countries. Perhaps this is too worrying for you to explore, and if so I understand. Just remember I'm struggling to understand too. Things change so rapidly, attitudinally, in policy and the infection itself and you are certainly in a much more informed position than me.

My closest friend, in LA but from Mainland China, reports things are MUCH worse there than we are told. Trying to get more specifics to the extent she can communicate freely. Her well-informed sister is a controversial anti-gov economist-journalist who's been just barely hanging on for the last decades. Just another example of the two-levels of info disclosed most everywhere - to and by those in the know and to the rest, in descending tiers.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Give the Natto to Mikey - he'll eat anything:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post