well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Five favorite films in order
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five favorite films in order
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I'll go first.

1. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966). Elizabeth Taylor is my favorite actress. This was her masterpiece. She said Richard Burton should have won the Oscar. She was right. She noted he was playing against type. I'd note his performance was evocative of his battle with alcoholism. I've listened to an interview of him talking about alcoholism while he was sober. It was very thought provoking. He was superb in this film.

Edit, I'll post my next four soon. I'm not going to hit the back button and lose my "work." Big Grin

Posts: 24626 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'll be curious to see your list, Daniel. I have a couple at the top of my list, but this will give me some time to think about what is "top five" for me.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7368 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
5. The Phineas and Ferb Star Wars crossover movie
4. The Avengers: Infinity War
3. The Avengers: Endgame
2. The LEGO Batman Movie
1. KungFu Hustle

I look forward to the entertainment industry scaling new heights and producing new favorites that replace all those in the list today.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
To Kill A Mockingbird
Apocalypse Now
Hard Days Night
Stand By Me
The Last Picture Show
Wild Strawberries
Juliet of the Spirits
Beauty and the Beast - Cocteau not Disney

Jf

Revised twice and over the limit I know, but....

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to pick. This is probably a best guess.

Casablanca
The Princess Bride
El Dorado
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Remember the Titans

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
This has all been a big help in choosing videos (series and movies) to watch - especially on the stairstepper. (I finally discovered "Who's Afraid of...etc." is presently available on HULU for subscribers - which I am, through Spotify).

Looking forward to it. Remembering that Elizabeth Taylor got lots of extra credit at the time because her weight was on the heavier side then, and she let herself be shown cackling, double chin and all. Wondering what Richard Burton did that made her argue he (not she) should have won the best acting award for his performance.

(And other people's lists are helpful too. So many great old films I missed seeing at the time!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The Red Violin
Cocteau's 1930s Beauty and the Beast
Jules et Jim
Pan's Labrynth
The 1930s original version of Lost Horizon

Wow, that went quick. I could easily list many more. But these are films I could see (and have seen) again and again. And that doesn't happen very often.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Blazing Saddles
Addams Family and Addams Family Values
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Oh Brother Where Art Though
Fargo

Bonus movie: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

That’s actually 7.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of trouble coming up with lists like this. For example, I adore the Star Wars films. I've watched the original trilogy a million times. I think they are underrated in terms of art, because they are so popular, they are science fiction, and they do have their cheesy moments, but they also have an experimental side to them that shows Lucas' film school roots. The first hour of the first film is told almost wholly through visuals--but what visuals!--and it does so in a way that makes viewers care about the fate of two non-human creatures wandering in a trackless desert. But I still wouldn't put it on a list of five best films. Instead, I'd make put it on a list of five epic adventure films and then make a list of five character dramas and five romances, and so on and so on.

However, I'll name one favorite and mull over whether their are others I want to name. I'm a huge Gregory Peck fan, so I'll say that To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite film.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15499 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
5. The Phineas and Ferb Star Wars crossover movie
4. The Avengers: Infinity War + Endgame (one story arc, count as one movie)
3. South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
2. The LEGO Batman Movie
1. KungFu Hustle
Revised my list above slightly.

When making the list of "favorites," I simply go by this question: "if I really have nothing better to do and have to watch some old movies I have already watched before, which would I go for?"

That question is very much hypothetical these days because there is so much new content, new movies getting released every hour around the world and the Internet let me access much of these so easily, I rarely ever rewatch anything I watched before.

The lists may look very different if I were to make a list of "best" movies, for what I think is "best" by some more cerebral criteria may not be what I "like" by whims. I interpret "favorite" closer to the latter than the former.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
All your lists explain why I can hardly ever find anything to watch. Nobody is making movies for me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
The Red Violin
Cocteau's 1930s Beauty and the Beast
Jules et Jim
Pan's Labrynth
The 1930s original version of Lost .

I could revise my list to include Cocteau, but I’ve already revised it twice. I keep thinking of more so I’m gonna go with best 8.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a try, but as others have said, the lists may vary as time goes by.

Dr. Strangelove
Blazing Saddles
Paths of Glory
The Deerhunter
The Apartment

That's largely off the top of my head and tomorrow might change, but Dr. Strangelove has headed the list for me for a long, long time. Peter Sellers is nothing short of brilliant in his three roles.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7368 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don’t watch many movies, so if I chose five, they would be plucked from a small and insubstantial set.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
2. Plenty (1985). This was my personal discovery of Meryl Streep and her performance was almost rapturous.

She played opposite Charles Dance. Sir John Gielgud, Tracy Ullman, and Sting were supporting characters.

This film is set during WWII and its aftermath. It explores the relationship between optimism and disillusionment.

Posts: 24626 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post