well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Carp like this will be the death of the Dems

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carp like this will be the death of the Dems
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Warren, Buttigieg, and finger-pointing about fund raising...the candidates need to focus on real issues...

quote:
Chase Williams grinned broadly as he stood for a photo next to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, chatting briefly with the senator from Massachusetts before moving on so someone else could have their turn.

It was the kind of moment that has become a ubiquitous part of Warren’s presidential campaign and its long “selfie lines,” where supporters wait for hours to pose with her at no charge.

But this shot, taken in October 2017, was at an entirely different kind of event: an exclusive “backstage” reception that took place in the vault of a former Cleveland bank. And that was the day’s low-rent affair — donors who agreed to pay more attended an even more exclusive shindig with Warren that day, according to two people familiar with her schedule.

The events were part of a high-dollar fundraising program that Warren had embraced her entire political career, from her first Senate run in 2011 through her reelection last year. Warren was so successful at it that she was able to transfer $10 million of her Senate cash to help launch her presidential bid.

But in the past year Warren has undergone a transformation, moving from one of the Democratic Party’s biggest draws at high-dollar fundraisers to a presidential candidate who has sworn them off as sinister attempts to sell access.

In a debate last week, Warren criticized rival Pete Buttigieg for having an exclusive fundraiser in a crystal-filled wine cave in Napa Valley, prompting the South Bend, Ind., mayor to respond that she shouldn’t issue “purity tests you cannot yourself pass.”

Williams, who supports Buttigieg in the presidential race, said Warren’s position was “disingenuous.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...294520e97_story.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, Buttigieg and this Williams guy are quite correct. And Warren should be called out for it.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I read an account of the wine cave fundraiser from someone who was there. He paid $11 to get in and the wine was just over $100/bottle. He said the other guests there were very far from millionaires.

I increasingly dislike Warren's tactics. This is the third thing I've seen her do recently that I find mean spirited and divisive. And in this case, just plain incorrect

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Well, Buttigieg and this Williams guy are quite correct. And Warren should be called out for it.

Definitely. But it's unproductive noise that accomplishes little in convincing people who are on the fence not to vote for the orange guy.

The Dems need to be unified in their effort to defeat Trump. Period, end of discussion.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Could you please wave your magic want to undo the natural incentives of the primary process. Wink

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Neener

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It was funny, but when pictures were published of the cave itself, it was Kathryn Hall's (former ambassador to Austria)' Rutherford wine cave. I have been there for tasting and it was certainly the most impressive place I have seen in Napa. Even her stainless steel tanks are art. The funny thing is you have to know this place is here. It's not marked and it is very far up the mountains on the east side of the valley. But to call it out as being elite is disingenuous at the very least. It causes folks to mistrust the party's frontrunners.

Another way to look at it is this is the best they could come up with to attack Buttigieg? Really?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Another way to look at it is this is the best they could come up with to attack Buttigieg? Really?

Exactly.

Bazootiehead-in-training