well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Measles Outbreak in Portland, OR
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measles Outbreak in Portland, OR
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Idiots.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's big news here. I can't read the WaPo article, but the last news I caught included a list of potential exposure sites that was mind-boggling. A pediatric doctor's office. A Trailblazers game. The airport, a bunch of schools, etc., etc. It's very widespread. But it's also worth pointing out that it started in Vancouver (across the river) and so far hasn't spread extensively into Portland. But I have no doubt it will.

People are idiots. All of this is preventable.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”

HairRaising

I did not know that. Wow. (Glad both Mr. SK and I have been vaccinated)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The measles have crept through the cracks
As parents become antivaxx,
Gen Xers & Boomers
Attracted to rumours
Promoted on Facebook by quacks

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
“Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”

HairRaising

I did not know that. Wow. (Glad both Mr. SK and I have been vaccinated)

Young whippersnappers. We old folks got immunity the old fashioned way: We got the measles.

(not anti-vaxx here, just pre-vaxx.... Wink )

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
(not anti-vaxx here, just pre-vaxx.... )

Yeah, many of us remember those days. I'll bet you had a smallpox vaccine ... the kind that left a permanent mark.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yup, though it is barely visible and only the diameter of a dime. I remember my cousin, who was nine years older than I, had three rather long and deep racing stripes on her upper arm. I think the vaccination technique must have evolved over the years.

I had measles, chicken pox, and mumps. Never had the German measles but that vaccine was available by the time I reached my early teens and I was vaccinated at that time. Got the usual DPT vaccine in childhood.

edit: Also got polio vaccinations, both Salk and Sabin. The Salk became available right around the time I was born, but my pediatrician figured "why not?" when the oral version came out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered if I ever had German Measles (especially in pregnancy as it's so important then).

My parents didn't keep super careful records. I DO know I had whooping cough, as it was so unforgettable!

I guess it doesn't matter now, as I now understand we all need boosters as adults (WISH they'd get the Shingrex [sic?] vaccine in. I wonder how long this ongoing shortage will continue. It seems to have been years.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oh, no.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I've often wondered if I ever had German Measles (especially in pregnancy as it's so important then).

My parents didn't keep super careful records. I DO know I had whooping cough, as it was so unforgettable!

I guess it doesn't matter now, as I now understand we all need boosters as adults (WISH they'd get the Shingrex [sic?] vaccine in. I wonder how long this ongoing shortage will continue. It seems to have been years.)

Check with your pharmacy and doctor. We now have the Shingrix vaccine at our pharmacy and our clinic. Now to wear short sleeves someday so I don’t have to get undressed to be vaccinated!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Our pharmacy simply can't keep it in. They will keep a waiting list only for those who need a 2nd dose, which essentially means that people like me, who haven't had it yet, will never get called.

I have an appt with my GP in a few weeks, and I'm hoping they will have the vaccine. Kind of a bummer.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Now there's a GOP numbskull who thinks antibiotics work on measles.

Just give 'em antibiotics, says Texas state representative

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And there's one in Arizona who says that requiring vaccines is Communism. And who says that she doesn't care what the science says, she just knows that her child was hurt by a vaccine.

http://washingtonpost.com/nati...?tid=pm_national_pop

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post