well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Scarlatti and Me

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scarlatti and Me
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
So about a year ago I started sight reading practice in earnest. Every day I read through a new Scarlatti Sonata. I chose Scarlatti because (a) there's a bunch of them and (b) they're about the right length, and (c) they're not particularly dense, so they're a good place to start for a poor sight reader such as myself.

I've been reading them in (Longo) order, and today I read through Sonata #278, which means I finally crossed the half way point. 277 more to go.

I've definitely improved through these exercises, though I'm not sure if I'm really getting better at sight reading, or just getting good at sight reading Scarlatti. Smiler

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You're so systematic about things. ThumbsUp

Are you sight reading one and then moving on to the next one, or do you pause and work on ones that speak to you?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I haven't stopped to work on any, though I've been tempted. I've noted some of the gems informally (usually via messages to CJQ, remember him?). So I can always peruse those messages and get a short list to go back to.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Kinda jealous. I don't have much (any) time to practice these days.

I spent most of a year working on K.517. I never got up to even half of the prestissimo it's marked.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just read through that less than 2 weeks ago (it’s L266). But at Andante, of course. Smiler

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Or largo. Big Grin

I'm doing the same thing with my Scarlatti sonatas. I can definitely see improvement, though your caveat that I may just be getting better at sightreading Scarlatti may apply.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Frankly my dear...

Oh, wait. *ScarlATTI*

I’d be playing it adagio...or grave.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post