well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Scarlatti and Me

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2031040366

09 February 2019, 08:43 AM
jon-nyc
Scarlatti and Me
So about a year ago I started sight reading practice in earnest. Every day I read through a new Scarlatti Sonata. I chose Scarlatti because (a) there's a bunch of them and (b) they're about the right length, and (c) they're not particularly dense, so they're a good place to start for a poor sight reader such as myself.

I've been reading them in (Longo) order, and today I read through Sonata #278, which means I finally crossed the half way point. 277 more to go.

I've definitely improved through these exercises, though I'm not sure if I'm really getting better at sight reading, or just getting good at sight reading Scarlatti. Smiler

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

09 February 2019, 08:57 AM
wtg
You're so systematic about things. ThumbsUp

Are you sight reading one and then moving on to the next one, or do you pause and work on ones that speak to you?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

09 February 2019, 12:49 PM
jon-nyc
I haven't stopped to work on any, though I've been tempted. I've noted some of the gems informally (usually via messages to CJQ, remember him?). So I can always peruse those messages and get a short list to go back to.

09 February 2019, 02:05 PM
pianojuggler
Kinda jealous. I don't have much (any) time to practice these days.

I spent most of a year working on K.517. I never got up to even half of the prestissimo it's marked.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

09 February 2019, 04:10 PM
jon-nyc
Funny, I just read through that less than 2 weeks ago (it’s L266). But at Andante, of course. Smiler

09 February 2019, 04:54 PM
Nina
Or largo. Big Grin

I'm doing the same thing with my Scarlatti sonatas. I can definitely see improvement, though your caveat that I may just be getting better at sightreading Scarlatti may apply.
09 February 2019, 09:21 PM
AdagioM
Frankly my dear...

Oh, wait. *ScarlATTI*

I’d be playing it adagio...or grave.

http://pdxknitterati.com