well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Decided (??) --Rug and piano placement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decided (??) --Rug and piano placement
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yes, they did get it in. And no, I will not watch when they take it out!!!

@Jodi, I will ask the movers to let me me try it. It's going to be hard to decide right then though. But at least if I have just two options (which I think I do), I ought to be able to say "let me compare placements 1 and 2" ...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
No happy dance yet, the sellers have 7 steps and two tight turns that the piano movers will have to maneuver, that will give me a heart attack (if writing the check doesn’t!)

They got it in, right? They'll be able to get it out. (She glibly says, knowing she was unable to watch them haul her piano over the ledge into the house.... Big Grin )

As long as they haven’t remodeled since obtaining the piano!

We bought our piano during a remodel project; part of the reason for remodeling was to make room for a grand in our living room. We added an entry to the house, which meant a tight turn to get into the living room (but you no longer entered directly into the LR, which gave us more usable space). So the piano came in the entry, and had to make a 90 degree turn to get into the LR. Which was only possible by pivoting the tail in the new entry closet. And I don’t think it would have worked with a longer piano.

Success! I did tell my architect that I needed to be able to get the piano in, from the very beginning, so it was part of the plan.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes, that sounds like it was pretty challenging!

Nope the sellers haven't changed that part of the house, and I sent photos to the movers. It should be fine as long as I don't watch, because then I will have a heart attack for sure.

The other thing is, hopefully it won't rain on moving day, because if it does, we'll reschedule. And I don't want to wait, I'm so excited!!

Keyboard Jam

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, they did get it in. And no, I will not watch when they take it out!!!

@Jodi, I will ask the movers to let me me try it. It's going to be hard to decide right then though. But at least if I have just two options (which I think I do), I ought to be able to say "let me compare placements 1 and 2" ...

In my experience, the piano movers assume there will be a small amount of moving it around. I've never had a mover blink when I've asked to rotate a piano, move a few feet one way or the other, etc. I've never asked them to move it to a completely new location (like across the room, or into a different room), but I assume they'd do it. They're piano movers and I think they've learned to accommodate those types of requests, as long as you're not a jerk and having them move it all over the place.

Just be sure to tip! Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, oh good! I'm mainly thinking options 8 and 9 (same spot, angled or straight) so hopefully they won't mind.

Re the tip, how much do you think is a good idea? $20/person??

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
When thinking about piano placement, it helps to consider where the piano will be heard most of the time. In the home, that often means from the bench!

Honestly, I'd worry more about traffic flow and how it looks in the room more than any acoustical issues - although it is nice when the tech has room to slide the action out to service...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron, thanks for chiming in!

quote:
it helps to consider where the piano will be heard most of the time. In the home, that often means from the bench!

Yes, that is one factor I'm trying to account for, not just how it sounds to me but also my feeling at the bench. I don't want to have my back to most of the room, so options 7, 8, 9 work for that (not that anyone remembers what those are at this point! suave

quote:
traffic flow and how it looks in the room

Re the first point, traffic flow, I am putting the piano on the side of the room that is not in any way a walk-through area, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Although, traffic, not "flow" so much, but I want a nice layout that makes it at least somewhat easy to have piano parties and gatherings, where we can set up extra chairs around the piano. For that purpose, I still can't decide which position is best.

Re the second point, this is just so hard to visualize. Hopefully the movers will help me by tweaking the positioning so I can get it in a spot where it looks good.

Either way, I wish the days would hurry up and pass!!! I can hardly bear the wait!!! Yes

Keyboard Jam

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, I think I have settled on a placement. We just spent 2.5 hours, we moved everything out of the piano room (except the upright, my upright doesn't have wheels) and experimented with the piano floor template. Doing that helped to visualize how we would use the room, say for piano parties. Also, I realized I can't bring myself to put the piano in any spots that would carry a higher risk to the tuning stability etc.

So this is the final (?) choice:

Hopefully it won't look or sound horrible. Time will tell!

Delivery is scheduled for Tuesday. I think I might have a heart attack before then though... suave

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Are you not telling us what you bought until it's in? Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you not telling us what you bought until it's in?

Oh, you noticed that? WhoMe

I'm feeling awfully superstitious and I don't want anything to go wrong (I felt like this before we closed on our house) so once the piano is in my living room (laid out as above or otherwise!) I'll jump up and down, go crazy, and start to cry share photos and tell you what kind of a piano it is. suave

Is it Tuesday yet?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
FWIW that’s the placement I like best. More room for furniture.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Can't wait!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
More room for furniture.

Yes that's another benefit. Also, this placement should look good when you enter the room from any of the doors, and the piano won't over-power the space completely. Although, at first it will probably feel like that!

quote:
Can't wait!

Me too. LL!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Are the movers taking away your old piano?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Are you not telling us what you bought until it's in?

Oh, you noticed that? WhoMe

I'm feeling awfully superstitious and I don't want anything to go wrong (I felt like this before we closed on our house) so once the piano is in my living room (laid out as above or otherwise!) I'll jump up and down, go crazy, and start to cry share photos and tell you what kind of a piano it is. suave

Is it Tuesday yet?

ROTFLMAO
ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post