well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Decided (??) --Rug and piano placement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decided (??) --Rug and piano placement
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Ok, so the photos below show the room as it is now (expect for the photo with no art on the walls, that's an older photo just to show the area rug).

Once I have a grand piano, all the furniture on the far side of the room (where the single window is) will be moved out of there and the piano will be over there somewhere, so that when you open the lid, it will open out into the room.

I'm thinking the piano should be angled somewhat so that the tail is pointing into the back corner (where the tall green plant is now). So maybe almost like the pianist would sit with her back slightly to the photographer, IOW somewhat facing the large windows? (and IOW not the way the piano template is in these photos).

If it will fit, I thought I might turn the rug so that it is almost wall-to-wall from the large window to where the tall lamp is, instead of how it's positioned now. Then the rug would sort of bisect the room, since it's about 8 feet on the short side. That way the rug would create the piano space. The rest of the space will eventually be filled with furniture for sitting.

Anyway, I plan to keep the rug, I think it will work well with a black grand on top of it. (In the rental, we had it in the dining room with the black and cherry table on top).

Any advice or suggestions about positioning are welcome!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
You have room for a Steinway B at least.
Sending you one, it only required a simple second mortgage that a special loan company called The Great White Shark has provided.

Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Im not sure I’d angle it. And I’d push the keyboard closer to that other wall. You don’t need that much room to sit.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And if that front porch is covered I might turn it 90 degrees so the back end isn’t up against a wall.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
CHAS ROTFLMAO

Jodi, the front porch is covered, and the small window doesn’t get direct in either.

Re space b/w keyboard and wall, I’m operating under the idea that I’ll want four feet between wall and keyboard for the bench, but right now the upright is in the way so I wasn’t being exact. I definitely don’t want to feel cramped, I’ve played in spaces where there’s not enough room to move the bench out and I hate that.

Re the angle of the piano... do you mean put the tail out into the room? Another way to put it is, is the pianist facing out into the room or more facing the front porch, or facing into the corner where there currently is a tall pant?

Or have the straight side parallel to wall with small window? That was my original thought but someone said it would sound better no straight like that.

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
have the straight side parallel to wall with small window?

from an acoustics point of view, that is the correct way to do it. you do not want the flow of sound vibrations hitting any walls. you want them to flow straight out into the full length of the room as much as possible.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i certainly hope that register on the wall is an air intake and not a heat or a/c vent. and i would put heavy insulated shades or drapes over any windows anywhere near the piano.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
acoustics point of view

piqué, this is exactly what I want to know. I thought I read that the piano should be at an angle for acoustics reasons?

Anyway I am going to make a few layout samples and post them later this evening. Please comment if you have time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not a piano placement expert here, but thought I'd pass this along:

https://www.total-piano-care.c...-room-placement.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG that site is super helpful, thank you!

I may not be able to avoid being near a window, but I can mitigate it by keeping the curtain closed. Also, the climate here is relatively mild, so hopefully that will help.

Also, there is a heating/cooling vent under the small window. Depending on where the piano is, I plan to have it completely closed in winter, and for summer wil use a plastic cover thingy to deflect the airflow (the ac air is very soft, so deflecting should be sufficient).

So, just acoustically, here is what was on the Piano Buyer website, which is what I had in my head.

Here is blueprint of my piano room, with doors and windows specified. Mr. SK made it, so the room and the piano are fairly close to scale.

The current favorite is #4 except maybe out a little more from the window area....
Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

room w/out piano:

piano (I think it loses its size in this version)

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Option #7 (sort of like 4 but moved out more into the room, that way someone could easily walk behind the piano to the window etc.

I think this is my current favorite.

All other furniture placement is second to piano (we have a separate family room).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I kind of like 6. Reminds me a bit of kluurs' house and piano placement, except that his front door is basically where your doorway to the TV room is.

Largely takes the piano out of the line of fire of windows and HVAC registers. Front door still a bit of an issue, but I think you're going to be compromising at least one thing no matter where you put it. How much do you use the front door?

It also seems you could have some nice "other" furniture placement because you have the L-shaped corner to put seating and occasional tables.

Not sure how much you can see from the photos of a party at kluurs' house from a couple of years ago. He also has a sun room in the front, but you can kind of see how the seating forms a corner across from the piano. I have no clue what the room dimensions are, but I think he has a Steinway B. (maybe someone can confirm that?)

Gosh, those photos were taken a year ago tomorrow....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those photos WTG! Hmmm I don’t think our room has enough width for that placement, I could be wrong though. That placement offers lots of seating options though...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh and btw the front door is the door we use the most right mow! Frowner

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So the tech preference....

You've seen the action pulled out of a grand - we need some room straight back, so those angled choices can be awkward, unless there is enough room before we run into the wall!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post