well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No no no no no no no
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No no no no no no no
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
A true patriot.

Meh. She should have resigned when a Obama was still President. She was already 5 years into a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

I mean, I know it’s too early. But still.

It was a mistake. Don't judge her too harshly for not predicting Trump's win.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Court-packing arguments begin. I'm open to the idea.

Pack the Court

I'm favorably disposed to the idea in January if the Democrats wind up with 50 senators. I'm not sure I like the idea of campaigning on it.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
A true patriot.

Meh. She should have resigned when a Obama was still President. She was already 5 years into a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

That is what I thought at the time. Also, I don't recall the Dems doing much to counter Mitch when he blocke Garland.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Our nightmare: McConnel and his minions confirm a very young, very I-1 loyalist in the next two or three weeks. The righties then have a 6-3 majority. The election goes sideways due to all the carp that I-1 is currently orchestrating. I-1 contests everything (even the date of Election Day). It goes to the Supremes like Bush v Gore. Even if one of the righties sprouts a conscience and calls it for the sham it is, the rest of them declare I-1 the winner.

It’s scorched earth, no holds barred, authoritarian rule from there.

Somebody please wake me up.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I should delete my earlier post.

Mrs. Betty Bowers
@BettyBowers
·
1h
“She should've retired when Obama was POTUS” tweets are infuriating.

1. GOP made up a new rule that they would block all replacements.

2. Nobody – even Trump – thought Trump was going to win.

3. She had cancer and still hung on as long as she could.

So, kindly, shut it.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Our nightmare: McConnel and his minions confirm a very young, very I-1 loyalist in the next two or three weeks. The righties then have a 6-3 majority. The election goes sideways due to all the carp that I-1 is currently orchestrating. I-1 contests everything (even the date of Election Day). It goes to the Supremes like Bush v Gore. Even if one of the righties sprouts a conscience and calls it for the sham it is, the rest of them declare I-1 the winner.

It’s scorched earth, no holds barred, authoritarian rule from there.

Somebody please wake me up.

Go back to sleep. If you can.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

Pack the Court

I'm favorably disposed to the idea in January if the Democrats wind up with 50 senators. I'm not sure I like the idea of campaigning on it.

Agree on both counts, and for heaven's sake, Democratic party, do NOT call it "packing the court." Jeez.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters what euphemism Schumer tries to invent. The other side will reimpose the term.

Max Boot is right. There is virtually zero trust between partisans. "We" understand that the GOP is composed of power-hungry hypocrites who want to demonize non-white people and exploit the poor. "They" understand that "we" want to destroy the American economy and impose godless communism on everyone.

Ginsburg's Passing May Worsen the Crisis of our Democracy

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say if Dems sweep, that I would be frustrated to watch any attempts at "reaching across the aisle or consensus-building" instead of pushing the pendulum back as far to the left as possible. The Right has used every tool available to them - legal and not!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pack the Court

Months ago I said one of my fears of RBG dying late in the term GOP pushing through a candidate at the last minute is that court packing will go from a fringy idea to mainstream within the Democratic Party.

I’m not open to the idea at all. Game theoretically, there’s no equilibrium point other than status quo. I’m too much of an institutionalist to want to start down that never-ending path.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now the fight begins. This will place a half dozen GOP senators in the spotlight. Romney will be unlikely to countenance McConnell ramming through an appointment. What will Collins do?

Ultimately, I'd bet on Mitch winning, and we'll just have to live with it.

But you can bet that the first two years of a Biden administration will see the Democrats ram though anything and everything they can agree upon (agreement, that will be the problem) with no regard for GOP sentiment and fusty comments about comity and the need for consensus. Filibuster? Gone. Fifty Democratic senators and they'll be able to do anything they please.

Collins said today that the President elected on Nov. 3rd should pick the next Justice. But that doesn't quite say she'd vote against a Trump nominee.

And that's only one anyway.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pack the Court

We can't play by different rules than the b@st@rds on the other side do.

The only way out I see is if the saner elements cut a deal ... no nominee now, no vote to kill the filibuster later.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
None of the “rules” matter if the Democrats do not win both the White House and control of the Senate.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I imagine this was deliberately leaked:

quote:
Schumer to Senate Dems on a conference call today, per source: “Let me be clear: if Leader McConnell and Senate Republicans move forward with this, then nothing is off the table for next year. Nothing is off the table.”

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not open to the idea at all. Game theoretically, there’s no equilibrium point other than status quo. I’m too much of an institutionalist to want to start down that never-ending path.

Well, I may disagree. The system seems broken, and we may need to invent some new rules until there is enough sense on the other side to sign a new "democratic treaty."