well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you want to read in 2019?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you want to read in 2019?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
For me these days audio books make a huge difference. I have so much time that I can spend listening but not reading. Easily 3-4 hours a day between exercise, cooking, driving. I was dedicating all that time to podcasts but I worked my way through the backlists of my favorites and was hitting diminishing returns.

Now I am 'reading' at quite a clip. Mostly audio, but I always have a kindle book going too.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep, for some reason I haven't gotten into audio books. But on a drive from YVR - PDX we listened to a bunch of podcasts, which made the drive pass much more easily. I can definitely see the appeal.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
For me these days audio books make a huge difference. I have so much time that I can spend listening but not reading. Easily 3-4 hours a day between exercise, cooking, driving. I was dedicating all that time to podcasts but I worked my way through the backlists of my favorites and was hitting diminishing returns.

Now I am 'reading' at quite a clip. Mostly audio, but I always have a kindle book going too.

I can enjoy listening to an audiobook, but my retention rate is poor, and I have to go back every time I zone out. Reading while listening keeps me from zoning out, lets me know where I zoned out if I do, and improves my retention.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I rarely zone out but when I do I have to back up. Usually it happens when I’m on the treadmill and catch myself looking at one of the TVs with captions on. Invariably it’s not even something I’m interested in, I just start reading it. Often things like ESPN2 and I’m totally not a sports fan.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post