well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cancellations and closures (edit: and accommodations)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cancellations and closures (edit: and accommodations)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
You guys all realize these closures are really until the end of the year. They just don't know it yet. And those that do know it don't want to freak everyone out.

Do you really think so?? Even all the schools, at all levels?

I suspect Jon is correct.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Many public school systems are closed in Mass..they have the running in a ticker on TV just like a snow storm.

Quirt, that includes your former school district.

Most at this point are closed till the end of March and some into April. Blink

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I hate to even think of the impact of such prolonged restrictions.

I’m trying not to follow these developments to their logical conclusions, but it’s hard not to think about the economic devastation that awaits.

I was in grad school in 2008, and all but oblivious to the economic problems happening then.

I’m afraid this time we won’t be so lucky, and I’m trying not to let my mind wander to an endpoint where I lose my job because the economy tanks and no one wants to study japanese, so no one else wants to hire me...

That’s assuming we get past the outbreak alive...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
You guys all realize these closures are really until the end of the year. They just don't know it yet. And those that do know it don't want to freak everyone out.

I've been telling Mary Anna this for a week or more.

The real issue isn't the schoolkids, because kids almost universally exhibit no symptoms, it's the adults who could contract it from them.

Colleges in the fall will have plenty of time to figure out how to use distance learning. That doesn't work very well for elementary school.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Disneyland in California is closing. This will be the fourth time in the history of the park (Kennedy's assassination, the Northridge earthquake, and 9/11).

Interesting.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think it all depends on how bad it gets. Which could be really bad.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mount Everest.

Damn. And I was just planning to go.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51866342

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
PGA Tours cancels The Players tournament, and everything up to the Masters. edit : Masters cancelled, too.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought about posting this one in the "headlines that make you laugh" thread.

quote:
Coronavirus Conference Gets Canceled Because of Coronavirus

So much for keeping business rolling during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Council on Foreign Relations has canceled a roundtable called “Doing Business Under Coronavirus” scheduled for Friday in New York due to the spread of the infection itself. CFR has also canceled other in-person conferences that were scheduled from March 11 to April 3, including roundtables in New York and Washington and national events around the U.S.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...cause-of-coronavirus

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oregon Governor Kate Brown has closed all Oregon public schools beginning Monday march 16 through the end of March.

We’ll see if it ends there.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Canada shut down its parliament.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Why, oh why, is DC the last place to get it together?

No Catholic masses.

Maryland schools closed.

County parks and recreation sites closed.

So. What has the county USTA tennis association said about the tennis matches happening tonight at 9 p.m.?

Nothing.

I was in the line-up for tonight and tomorrow, but I told my captains I can't play.

But my own team -- which is currently in first place and a lock to make the playoffs for the first time in years -- has a match Sunday and some of my players have bailed out of corona concerns. The location is the University of Maryland, so is the tennis facility even open? Shouldn't the league cancel the last three matches that occur this month and declare us the winners?

Have some consideration, USTA, and stop leaving people hanging for no reason!

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh. They just sent a notice at 1 p.m. cancelling everything effective at 12:30 p.m.

Well, OK.

Never mind.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Most of the state's public schools, just got word our city buildings are closed to the public till further notice.

And the Governor declared 30 minutes ago that gatherings of 250 or more are prohibited.

There is some chatter/rumor about the airport closing as well. Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Family friend has her wedding coming up on April 4. Oh, man.