well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Secrets of the world's greatest art thief

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secrets of the world's greatest art thief
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Stéphane Breitwieser robbed nearly 200 museums, amassed a collection of treasures worth more than $1.4 billion, and became perhaps the most prolific art thief in history. And as he reveals to GQ’s Michael Finkel, how Breitwieser managed to do all this is every bit as surprising as why.

https://www.gq.com/story/secre...s-greatest-art-thief

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That is a GREAT story.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That was a great way to spend 20 minutes this morning. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That story actually made me really angry. All those treasures destroyed.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, agreed.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m feeling like the article glorifies what he did. Makes it interesting. And it’s awful and horrifying. The guy is sick and his actions ruined things. (I’ve had a painting stolen, so I’m coming from those feelings of anger, I think)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
that article was written by an old friend of mine from skiing magazine days. he's an incredible storyteller, always has been. it seems that at this point in his career he's become fascinated with the criminal mind. his two books were also about lawbreakers. the first one was made into a movie.

the movie deal enabled him to move his family--wife and three kids--to the south of france a few years ago. i thought it was for her sabbatical--she taught at Montana State, not far from me--but apparently life in France agrees with them and they are still there.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post