well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    China doesn’t care if you’re squeamish about genetic engineering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

China doesn’t care if you’re squeamish about genetic engineering
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We all knew this was coming, no?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
China doesn’t care if you’re squeamish about genetic engineering

Indeed.

quote:
Watchdog groups quickly denounced He’s work. “If true, this amounts to unethical and reckless experimentation on human beings, and a grave abuse of human rights,” Marcy Darnovsky, executive director of the Center for Genetics and Society, said in a statement.

This.

I've been following this since the AP report came out, it's pretty incredible. I'm also curious about what (if anything) will happen to this guy's advisor (Michael Deem?) who's employed at Rice U.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
REPEAL THE 16th AMENDMENT!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The risks and potential benefits to the child who would develop from an edited embryo must be carefully evaluated, she said.

The "edited embryo".

Wow. This is so cool on one hand and yet so terrifying on the other.

Shrink the damn military industrial complex already!

Posts: 12432 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand the title of the thread. His (or He's) own university said this:

University Statement on He's Work

quote:
The SUSTech Department of Biology Academic Committee believes that Dr. Jiankui HE’s conduct in utilizing CRISPR/Cas9 to edit human embryos has seriously violated academic ethics and codes of conduct.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I'm not sure I understand the title of the thread. His (or He's) own university said this:

University Statement on He's Work

So did Dr Frankenstein’s

Jf

quote:
The SUSTech Department of Biology Academic Committee believes that Dr. Jiankui HE’s conduct in utilizing CRISPR/Cas9 to edit human embryos has seriously violated academic ethics and codes of conduct.

Posts: 16981 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
So did Dr Frankenstein’s

Point?

"China Doesn't Care..." is an assertion of fact. Nothing in the article supports that assertion of fact. You're free to assume whatever you want, of course.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
"China Doesn't Care..." is an assertion of fact. Nothing in the article supports that assertion of fact.

This is a very good point. (Even if it does kinda ruin Jon’s swell thread title...)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
May be they are inspired by Captain America, just that given today's technologies, they figure they could do better with genetic engineering than with serum development.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Sorry, “Chinese researchers”, not “China”. The thread title was long enough...

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Genetically Modified People Are Walking Among Us
https://nyti.ms/2zBosAj
quote:
In the mid-1990s, fertility doctors in New Jersey got an idea for how to help women have children. They suspected that some women struggled to become pregnant because of defective material in their eggs.

To rejuvenate them, the doctors drew off some of the jellylike filling in eggs donated by healthy women and injected it into the eggs of their patients before performing in vitro fertilization.

The researchers did not ask the Food and Drug Administration for permission to try out the procedure. Only after their patients started having healthy children did they share the news that it seemed to work. Once the word got around, would-be parents streamed into clinics to try the procedure themselves.

But other people reacted with shock rather than excitement. Our cells generate fuel in miniature factories called mitochondria. And each mitochondrion carries its own small set of genes. The New Jersey fertility doctors might have created children with the DNA of three people, not two.

It turned out that this was indeed the case. The doctors discovered that some of the children carried mitochondrial DNA from the donors in addition to their parents. In their 2001 report on this discovery, they called it “the first case of human germ-line genetic modification resulting in normal healthy children.” The germ line is a lineage of cells that gives rise to a new person.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post