well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Repatriating antiquities

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repatriating antiquities
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
An American man has returned 19 antiquities to the four countries they came from after reading reports in the Guardian about the repatriation of looted antiquities.

John Gomperts, who lives in Washington, realised that the ancient pieces worth up to £80,000 – including two seventh- and eighth-century BC Cypriot vases – that he had inherited from his grandmother could have come from illicit excavations because they have no collecting history.

He wanted to do the right thing legally and ethically by returning the items to Italy, Greece, Cyprus and Pakistan respectively. After an agreement with his two siblings, he has returned them.

He said: “It seemed like the right thing to do … I read stories on repatriation and I thought: we have these pieces that are 2,500 years old from other countries; we should explore whether we can give them back.”

https://www.theguardian.com/cu...ing-guardian-article

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Another story of repatriation of an artifact...

A Pilgrimage to Honor a Blues Legend

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful story. Thanks for posting it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks.

As a blues fan, good on him.

I especially appreciated how he admitted he wanted this object (I don't blame him) and how parting with it involved a confluence of events including his being at a stage in his life when he wanted get rid of material objects (I didn't bring many from HI and can relate).

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post