well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Home question

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home question
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
The person who built my house ('74) must not have been thinking too well when he decided to put the oil tank input all the way in the back of the house--it's literally the furthest corner from the driveway. It means I have to shovel a path all the way out there and keep it cleared so I can get oil delivered. It's a real pain.

Does anyone know if it's possible--and legal--to run a pipe on the outside of the house from that input to the front corner? It would run along the back of the house.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, just a question - how often do you need to have oil delivered? I was under the impression (based on i don't know what) that it was something that happened once or twice a season.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I have no idea, just a question - how often do you need to have oil delivered? I was under the impression (based on i don't know what) that it was something that happened once or twice a season.

They delivered in early December. The delivery truck arrived today but he turned around and left when he saw I wasn't cleared out back yet. I went down to check and I still have nearly a half tank of oil left. I don't understand their schedules, but I think they try to deliver oil any time the price drops a bit (I don't know if that's the case today) because they are locked into a set price/gallon for my oil whether the wholesale price goes up or down.

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ours (in Maine) always delivered at 1/2 tank. So that is probably standard. And the schedule was based on the weather, how cold it was, and our average consumption. Our oil tank was about halfway down the side of the house, and the propane was in the back, and we had to keep a path clear to both.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Might depend on your municipality but in general you can run pipe on the outside of a house.

Ask your oil supplier if they have any rules.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Might depend on your municipality but in general you can run pipe on the outside of a house.

Thanks, Steve. I will ask them.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I would be happy that they came and checked. it has been bitterly cold with high winds.

Just ask them to give you a heads up when they are coming.

Ran out of propane yesterday for cooking. Was on schedule for today than goodness. I cook more when it is cold.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Great advice. Thanks. I just talked with them on the phone, made an appointment for them to come out and give me an estimate next Tuesday. He said the pipe would have to run inside the cellar because otherwise the oil would jell in the winter. He said roughly $500 labor plus parts, but I'll get a detailed quote next week. It sounds doable!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I would be happy that they came and checked. it has been bitterly cold with high winds.

Ran out of propane yesterday for cooking. Was on schedule for today than goodness. I cook more when it is cold.
they aren’t going to have time to give all their customers a call to give them a heads up, but I would think they might be able to give you an idea of when your delivery is scheduled if you call them.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by LL:

they aren’t going to have time to give all their customers a call to give them a heads up, but I would think they might be able to give you an idea of when your delivery is scheduled if you call them.

That's true, but I assume they enter the delivery schedules into a computer. The application could automatically send emails out to people who sign up for emails. (I've just spent the last month writing an elaborate email distribution app for a new client so automated email is on my mind. Smiler)