well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Darwin Awards, Denali Edition

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darwin Awards, Denali Edition
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45746 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“I’m goin’ up. Hold my beer.”

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have read that most of the injuries on Denali occur on the way down, which seems consistent with with that article.
A local 18 year old told me about his ascent of Denali years ago. He fit the profile of the sort that gets into trouble. Brash and loud,I wondered how he fit in with other climbers I know.
Foolishly and on impulse I climbed the most prominent mountain that is across the valley from my home. Standing on top was much like paragliding. Thrilling, but not something I want to do frequently.
Drove up Mt. Evans to the over 14,000 foot summit. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My days of extreme risk-taking are way behind me in the rear view mirror.

Oh, wait, I was never an extreme risk taker ... Big Grin

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I can believe that. We were lucky enough to see Denali in entirety half a dozen times while we were in the area. it's usually obscured by clouds. It really is one impressive rock.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post