well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NY Times Endorses Both Warren and Klobuchar

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times Endorses Both Warren and Klobuchar
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many Democratic voters are concerned first and foremost about who can beat Mr. Trump. But with a crowded field and with traditional polling in tatters, that calculation calls for a hefty dose of humility about anyone’s ability to foretell what voters want.

They should also add concerns about gerrymandering, partisan purging of voter polls, and hacking.

Their op-ed is worth reading, even if you don't agree with their endorsements. But what editor was asleep at the wheel when they didn't redline this sentence? "There has been a wildfire burning in Australia larger than Switzerland"? Talk about clunky. How about, "In Australia, a wildfire larger than Switzerland has been burning." NNTTM. Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am terrified for this election, and the NYT choosing to endorse two candidates seems like a bad sign to me. Their editorial board couldn't agree. My mother pointed out that this points to the precariousness of the election.

I continue to fantasize that two of the top candidates will agree to share the ticket and that this will be the magic bullet at election time. So, maybe a Warren-Klobuchar ticket?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18436 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The coming election makes me want to run and hide in a more stable place.
Argentina? Kenya? Myanmar?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Maybe an alternate post title would be 'NYT Editorial Board Can't Agree On A Candidate'

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That'd be totally untrue. They agreed on a candidate ... they don't want Bernie. They agreed on another candidate ... they don't want Biden. And they also agreed that they don't want Buttigieg.

You're just mad because a substantial portion of them like Warren.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I continue to fantasize that I-1 will be hit by a meteor.

That may be our only hope.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Nate Silver before the endorsement:

quote:
NYT endorsement odds:

3:4 Warren
5:1 Biden
8:1 Bernie
10:1 they endorse no one or multiple candidates or something dumb like that
12:1 Klobuchar
12:1 Buttigieg
20:1 Bloomberg
100:1 Bennet
50:1 field

Nate Silver after:

quote:
"Something dumb like that" is the winner

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
It's a nod to sanity and away from pure hatred and righteousness. Pure hatred and righteousness would endorse Warren, who won't win against Trump. Klobuchar could actually win, even if she is not the candidate who appeals to hatred and righteousness.

Not surprising that the NYT couldn't make a decision between the two.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
In 2016, Trump at the top of the GOP ticket gets the pissed off middle America working class votes, then add Pence to get the Christian Right votes.

For 2020, Warren at the top of the ticket can get the liberal and progressive votes, then add Klobuchar to get the moderate and anti-Trump conservative votes.

Might work.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Cop-out.

Endorse one.

New York Times.

Jeez.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Many Democratic voters are concerned first and foremost about who can beat Mr. Trump. But with a crowded field and with traditional polling in tatters, that calculation calls for a hefty dose of humility about anyone’s ability to foretell what voters want.

They should also add concerns about gerrymandering, partisan purging of voter polls, and hacking.

Their op-ed is worth reading, even if you don't agree with their endorsements. But what editor was asleep at the wheel when they didn't redline this sentence? "There has been a wildfire burning in Australia larger than Switzerland"? Talk about clunky. How about, "In Australia, a wildfire larger than Switzerland has been burning." NNTTM. Big Grin

Big Grin

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Mad props for the headline.

A Heartbreaking Endorsement of Staggering Pretense

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I was reading a discussion elsewhere where a person posted his opinion regarding the NYT endorsement and then added "but I'll vote for whatever sentient mammal the Democrats nominate." I thought that captured my sentiments.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post