well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Questions for Tonight's Democratic Debate
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for Tonight's Democratic Debate
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What did everyone think of the debate last night? I can't get past how geezerly Biden and Sanders look. I thought Elizabeth Warren held her own, and was surprised she didn't get more attacks than she did. I remain impressed with Buttigieg, and thought Klobuchar did well. Didn't even realize Tulsi was still in it. Big Grin

Thought Biden looked pretty fit, actually., as did Sanders.

I thought Tom Steyer (had never heard of him before) looked older than any of them and I see from googling that he's only in his early 60s (assuming too that he, like all of the others - especially the elderly ones! - was well made up).

Personally, I was very impressed with Klobuchar and I must admit, I tend to be unduly impacted by candidates' self-possession and projection as much or more than by the contents of their speech (that said, I noted her voice was a bit tremulous).

By the same token, I was taken by the self-presentation of Andrew Yang, Cory Booker and Julian Castro (mentioning them only because I hadn't thought much of them before. Buttigieg, I expected that of.)

And Tulsi Gabbard is, as she is I presume known , strikingly cool and adept at public speaking. Not a hair was ruffled and her voice was powerful. Was frustrated on her behalf at her being interrupted so much. (That said, I was surprised at her emphasis on withdrawing from Syria.)

Don't know HOW they decided when to let whom speak and for how long. Seemed prejudicial since the longer they have to go on, the more they can put forth their ideas. (Elizabeth Warren ignored the stopping points more than almost anyone. Did she have special privileges or what?) And was troubled by her plethora of "ums" toward the end.

As for the moderators, I was underwhelmed both by their speech and question choices (where did they come from?). Yes, that last one was kind of strange, though it sure put them - the first respondant, especially - on the spot. ("unusual friend")

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
To have much of an opinion on "performance" I would have had to have watched it ...

+1

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What did everyone think of the debate last night? I can't get past how geezerly Biden and Sanders look. I thought Elizabeth Warren held her own, and was surprised she didn't get more attacks than she did. I remain impressed with Buttigieg, and thought Klobuchar did well. Didn't even realize Tulsi was still in it. Big Grin

Same, except with respect to Tulsi.

Biden bumbled.

Bernie was irascible (he ignored Pete).

Booker is very congenial.

Klobuchar is sharp.

Warren dodged the tax question. We all know what the answer is. It was embarrassing.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
She didn't even do a good job of dodging it. It was quite disingenuous. 'Your costs will not go up'. Riiiiight.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
She didn't even do a good job of dodging it. It was quite disingenuous. 'Your costs will not go up'. Riiiiight.

I think she believes her answer is true, if you consider taxes as a cost. Taxes will go up, and other costs, she believes, will go down more, so, overall, costs will go down.

But she wasn’t willing to say that.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I got that but I don't see how that can believably happen.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I got that but I don't see how that can believably happen.

We pay twice as much per capita for health care as anyone else in the free world. Imagine if we could just dial that back to what England, or Canada, or Germany spends.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There are apparently questions about that.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...NC?li=BBnb7Kz#page=2