well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Questions for Tonight's Democratic Debate
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for Tonight's Democratic Debate
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
From Axios' panel of experts.

On foreign policy:

Do you still consider Turkey a U.S. ally?
Would you keep President Trump's tariffs on China in place until Beijing made the sorts of fundamental changes Trump has called for?
On health care:

You've all criticized drug companies and insurance companies, but the single biggest chunk of U.S. health care spending goes to hospitals — about $1 trillion a year. Is that too much? How will you cut it?
On immigration:

What do you think should be done with migrants who cross the border without papers and who have yet to go through an asylum or other legal immigration process?
On energy and climate:

How much of your climate plan could you implement without help from Congress?
On tech:

Should Facebook accept political advertising?
What’s the appropriate way for the government to use facial recognition technology?
On the economy:

Would you re-appoint Jerome Powell as Fed chair?
The U.S. pension system is underfunded by trillions of dollars. The deficit between what retirees are owed and the money available has already started draining state budgets. What would you do to solve this problem?

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm troubled by the hospital question. It seems diversionary and leading...

"Pay no attention to profits in the insurance and pharmacy industries, how will you cut spending to the systems that take care of patients?"

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

"Pay no attention to profits in the insurance and pharmacy industries, how will you cut spending to the systems that take care of patients?"

You don't think pharmacy takes care of patients? Or out-of-hospital doctors?

I think the point is, we've all focused extensively on insurance and pharma, but hospitals are still the biggest number. What about that?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
And beyond the question about what to do with undocumented who have already crossed the border, perhaps ask something about what type of comprehensive immigration reform would they propose... not just dealing with undocumented people crossing the border, but the whole shebang.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I think the point is, we've all focused extensively on insurance and pharma, but hospitals are still the biggest number. What about that?

No, pharma supplies medicines that doctors prescribe to take care of patients...

Yes, hospitals are the biggest number, but only a part of the picture. More information is needed - how much of that number is for ER room care - how much of those ER visits could be better served somewhere else? How much of the whole number is for end of life care - are there better choices for those patients? But leading the question away from looking at the whole system seems to indicate a bias to focus on cutting in a specific area of the whole.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, pharma supplies medicines that doctors prescribe while taking care of patients...

Yes, hospitals are the biggest number, but only a part of the picture. More information is needed - how much of that number is for ER room care - how much of those ER visits could be better served somewhere else? How much of the whole number is for end of life care - are there better choices for those patients? But leading the question away from looking at the whole system seems to indicate a bias to focus on cutting in a specific area of the whole.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:

On health care:

You've all criticized drug companies and insurance companies, but the single biggest chunk of U.S. health care spending goes to hospitals — about $1 trillion a year. Is that too much? How will you cut it?

This assumes that the answer to “Is that too much?” is “yes.” That shouldn’t be assumed.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, pharma supplies medicines that doctors prescribe to take care of patients...

I’d also want to hear opinions on why so many rural hospitals are closing and if there is a plan to deal with that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link, Quirt?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Stephen Kruiser gives the post-debate recap (ahead of the debate)

1. Orange man bad
2. Free government money tree
3. Impeach and stuff
4. Tulsi looks totes fab
5. Medicare for all because Obamacare sucked but wait no it was awesome we just need something more awesome omg we're all going to die
6. Seriously though, Tulsi

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Do you have a link, Quirt?

As I said, it’s on Axios.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

1. Orange man bad
3. Impeach and stuff
4. Tulsi looks totes fab
5. Medicare for all because Obamacare sucked but wait no it was awesome we just need something more awesome omg we're all going to die

Point #5 = wrong.

Buttigieg had the best zinger of the night. Warren refused to answer whether she'd raise taxes on the middle class ... she just kept saying that costs would go down for the middle class, but never mentioned taxes. The answer, of course, is that total costs would go down, but taxes are part of total costs, and they might go up while other things go down more. But she didn't want to say it.

Buttigieg: you have a plan for everything ... except that.

Klobuchar: the American people deserve to know where you're gonna send the invoice.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

1. Orange man bad
3. Impeach and stuff
4. Tulsi looks totes fab

hysteric

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What did everyone think of the debate last night? I can't get past how geezerly Biden and Sanders look. I thought Elizabeth Warren held her own, and was surprised she didn't get more attacks than she did. I remain impressed with Buttigieg, and thought Klobuchar did well. Didn't even realize Tulsi was still in it. Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
To have much of an opinion on "performance" I would have had to have watched it ...

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post