well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The ebook revolution that never happened

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ebook revolution that never happened
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
At the beginning of the 2010s, the world seemed to be poised for an ebook revolution.

The Amazon Kindle, which was introduced in 2007, effectively mainstreamed ebooks. By 2010, it was clear that ebooks weren’t just a passing fad, but were here to stay. They appeared poised to disrupt the publishing industry on a fundamental level. Analysts confidently predicted that millennials would embrace ebooks with open arms and abandon print books, that ebook sales would keep rising to take up more and more market share, that the price of ebooks would continue to fall, and that publishing would be forever changed.

Instead, at the other end of the decade, ebook sales seem to have stabilized at around 20 percent of total book sales, with print sales making up the remaining 80 percent. “Five or 10 years ago,” says Andrew Albanese, a senior writer at trade magazine Publishers Weekly and the author of The Battle of $9.99, “you would have thought those numbers would have been reversed.”

And in part, Albanese tells Vox in a phone interview, that’s because the digital natives of Gen Z and the millennial generation have very little interest in buying ebooks. “They’re glued to their phones, they love social media, but when it comes to reading a book, they want John Green in print,” he says. The people who are actually buying ebooks? Mostly boomers. “Older readers are glued to their e-readers,” says Albanese. “They don’t have to go to the bookstore. They can make the font bigger. It’s convenient.”

https://www.vox.com/culture/20...g-lawsuit-apple-ipad

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Figures. I'm marked as a boomer no matter what I do.

I LOVE my Kindle, take it with me everywhere.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I never warmed up to the Kindle.

I like printed books and Audible.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Have the Amazon thingie, a gift from our kids. Tried it a couple of times for e-mail and web browsing, NY Times news, but never really read books on it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
OK Boomers!

I love my kindle, and Mr. AM loves his, too. It’s easier to read kindle than books while knitting. And I change font size all the time, which is very helpful to me.

The kids got Mr. AM a new kindle for Christmas. Now he can read in water (won’t), and sync with Audible.

Kids prefer reading paper books, so I got them paper books for Christmas.

Woot!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Have the Amazon thingie, a gift from our kids. Tried it a couple of times for e-mail and web browsing, NY Times news, but never really read books on it.

Once you do and discover you can adjust the font size you’ll have trouble going back.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Love my kindle. Love that I can read kindle books on my phone. Really love that I can checkout ebooks from the library without leaving the house.

And yeah, I'm a boomer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is another in a long series of silly "disruption" stories. Thanks to Clay Christensen and his empirically underwhelming work, journalists who don't know any better just latched onto the disruption jargon to describe the SHOCKING market transformations that just about any technological change would CERTAINLY produce.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post