well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Make contraception illegal!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make contraception illegal!
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
https://www.huffpost.com/entry...a89ae4b01a50ab579e39

I try not to let I-1 occupy any corner of my brain, but I do wonder how this woman squares her views with being endorsed by a serial adulterer who “wrote” in one of his books that one thing that makes life worth living is sleeping with other men’s wives, then goes on to describe how he does just that.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30032 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cognitive dissonance is her middle name.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Religion is about reconciling the irreconcilable. Religious people have a lot of experience doing that.

Which will they end next? birth control or same-sex marriage?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Serious question ... help me understand things.

Is gay conservative an oxymoron? I mean of course there are gay Republicans, or were. But how does someone square advocating for a party that is seemingly barreling down the road to denying your very identity. "Oh, I just think tax cuts are so much more important than being denied rights ..."

What's the logic for this set of choices besides simply living with extreme cognitive dissonance. People in cognitive dissonance are supposed to seek balance to relieve the obvious mental discomfort usually associated with the dissonance. People relieve the discomfort by changing their beliefs to conform to their choice, but that would require an LGBTQ person to deny themselves and go straight. What am I missing?

Are the Log Cabin Republicans simply in denial?

I guess this is related to the Liz Cheney situation, though her dissonance doesn't seem so obvious. She may still think (in some deluded way) that the GOP will "come to its senses." Not a chance. In the case of the LGBTQ community, it seems pretty clear that the GOP base is truly coming for them, in a Martin Niemöller sense.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Years ago I saw the lonely guys at the Log Cabin Republican booth at a Gay Pride event. The other booths were busy. The Log Cabin booth was ignored.
Have encountered them elsewhere and asked them how they reconcile their political positions with their homosexuality. They were unable to say anything coherent about their situation.
Gays don't have a name for their "oreos", but they should.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
“Make contraception illegal!”

Geez, it’s only one short step from here to making my looks and personality (which serve pretty much the same function), illegal….

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Geez, it’s only one short step from here to making my looks and personality (which serve pretty much the same function), illegal….

Ok, someone needs to argue that with him.

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Ok, someone needs to argue that with him.

Cue sounds of birds chirping and tumbleweeds rolling by.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24657 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post