well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    All hell broke loose in Chicago last night
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All hell broke loose in Chicago last night
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
the whole looting episode started as a result of a police shooting earlier in the day.

... of a man who turned and actually fired on the police.

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Just heard another store owner who said he and two other store owners stood their ground, armed with bats and guns. Looters were driving U-Haul trucks and challenged one store owner and he told them he was armed and would defend his store. The looters said they didn't care but eventually backed down without looting the convenience store.

This went on for four hours. The main action was a block away and that's where the police were.

This is insane.

Insane indeed. And it's the sole-proprietor convenience store owners who are most likely to trigger a violent response. They'll be armed to protect their property. Does Tesla need to hire Halliburton to patrol their dealerships armed with AR-15s loaded and cocked?

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
the whole looting episode started as a result of a police shooting earlier in the day.

Yea, I know.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chicago Tribune coverage. They usually offer a few free articles, so hopefully you can read it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...qjqywrjvu-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

I missed that detail...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This is a case where Biden needs to reassure America that he will uphold the basic rights to safety and property, and that "defund the police" isn't what it means to be a Democrat. He has the track record to make Trump look silly if he continues trying to portray Biden as some anti-God looting supporter. If some progressives recoil at Biden supporting law and order, well, I can live with that.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a case where Biden needs to reassure America that he will uphold the basic rights to safety and property, and that "defund the police" isn't what it means to be a Democrat.

+1

I feel like looting and unrest are the main things that could potentially be a threat to Biden in Nov....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Looting and unrest in tRump's America...

Keep repeating.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7544 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Looting and unrest in tRump's America...

Keep repeating.

Yeah, it's as if one thing follows the other.

Posts: 24636 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
This is a case where Biden needs to reassure America that he will uphold the basic rights to safety and property, and that "defund the police" isn't what it means to be a Democrat.

+1

I feel like looting and unrest are the main things that could potentially be a threat to Biden in Nov....

TBH, I think his main problem is his seeming inability to get through a single interview without stumbling, looking down, and saying, "I shouldn't have said that."

Posts: 24636 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
looking down, and saying, "I shouldn't have said that."

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Back to locking down the central business area from 8pm-6am for the near future. There is some pre-emptive boarding up going on in the neighborhood and lots of police around. Some places are getting their own overnight outdoor security to add to the mix...

As I've thought about the organized looting, I wonder how much of this is the extension of the American - and especially conservative history of "the strong" just taking what they want. "I just grab 'em by the *****" mentality brought to the masses?

sigh

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7544 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
BLM weighs in.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...ting-monday/2320365/

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
That one line about looting doesn't matter to the business because they have insurance....

I've talked with a number of younger folks that really believe that. They don't really have any idea about the reality to many of these businesses that run on a slim margin at best. - And many of these smaller places have insurance that doesn't cover much when it comes to looting.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
And with bigger places it seems kind of arbitrary. “It’s ok because Walgreens doesn’t take the loss, Chubb does” (or whomever).

They’re both large faceless companies. What’s the big distinction that makes one more acceptable than the other?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post