well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another Painting Update w/ photos
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Painting Update w/ photos
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, Mr SK is getting super close to being done, and it looks amazing!! (He's not done with the trim, just the walls themselves). Last room left is the piano room.

Here are the before pics of the dining room:

Now the after pics:

The small bath (which was originally gray above those pretty tiles)

And the TV room, with our chosen flooring (just laid out, not installed yet). This is the cut out part of the room, it's not that narrow throughout). Also, this was the room that was the darker green-tinted beige/tan color, it's so much brighter now!!

I LOVE it!!! happydance

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks great! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I can't believe how much difference it makes. And Mr. SK is really doing an amazing job!!

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great painting! Can I hire Mr SK?

Are you having the flooring installed, or are you installing it yourself?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you having the flooring installed, or are you installing it yourself?

I'm 99% decided that we're going to go with the prof installation for that room -- I still need to get the quote though! but as we googled around, it just seems like it would be better to have it installed, and (fingers-crossed) it shouldn't be too much more expensive.

I already bought all the planks (15 boxes plus two extra just in case). As it happens, the flooring we chose was on clearance, and I decided to buy it now rather than risk it not being available. Plus the floorer said this particular brand/maker needs to sit in the house for 96 hours *before* installation, so we bought it and took it home on Sunday so we'll be ready whenever the floorers are.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is for the family room on main level.

If we get tiles from Modutile for the basement (which I still haven't totally ruled out), we will install it ourselves.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I hire Mr SK?

You are not the only one who has said that to use! Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What kind of paint did you end up using?

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Sherwin Williams Cashmere low lustre. Except the bathrooms.... what were those, a higher sheen as I recall, but i can't remember the name of the finish.. semi-gloss?? I forget.

I can't remember at this point why we ended up going with Cashmere, IIRC it's their middle-level in terms of quality and price, and I talked to the paint guy and had googled around.

So here's what Mr SK did: First, spackling of course, and some walls were covered in little nail holes. Then all of the rooms were prepped with either TSP or the other deglosser we got... red label, I am totally blanking on the name. Maybe somethig like Krud Kutter?? (Maybe he did the prep before the spackling? I forget). For the prep, Mr. SK used TSP in the bedrooms, baths and front room, but the red label on in all the rooms with the paneling (so fmaily room, kitchen and dining).

Then one coat of primer. Then two coats of paint, except the bathrooms he did three coats because he said the original gray color was peaking through. The dining room (originally with the purple) has two coats on it right now, and he said he was kind of trying to decide whether to do a third coat or not. I don't think you can see the purple any more, but he said he would look at it in the morning when his eyes aren't tired.

Then he's going to do touch-ups on the baseboards and trim as needed, and maybe he said there's a room or two where he'll repaint the whole baseboard.

He's done a great deal of the work without taping, he ended up getting a bunch of different brushes and rollers (i.e. different sizes), and he's really only taped the spots where it's a very narrow strip or some other confounding factor.

It looks amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. He's really, really good at this. Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
He's really, really good at this. Yes

I'm not surprised. He strikes me as a very meticulous individual.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
He strikes me as a very meticulous individual.

Yep. He also just seems to have really good technique, and you can tell when you get up close to the wall and really inspect it.

For the paneled walls, he used a brush on the seams and rollers in between, and when it's all done and dried, you can't tell, the application looks flawless. I knew he'd do a good job, but I didn't think it'd be this good!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Much better!

When I first moved here, 25 years ago, I also painted all my walls some kind of beige.

That lasted 15 years.

Then I needed color...

May you enjoy!

Oh, and give hubby kudos!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks fantastic! You must be so excited to move in! Our house sale is moving along - it passed inspection, the bank appraiser is coming next week (that should be no problem, it’s selling for less than what we paid for it, and we built a bunch of extra stuff). Though I don’t want the time to go fast, because i have so much artwork to work on between now and then, I will be so relieved when this chapter of our lives (having a second home at the edge of the universe) is all done.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must be so excited to move in!

Very!!

quote:
Our house sale is moving along

So glad to hear this!! I know how stressful it has been for you!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great news, jodi!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post