well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone here know about new computers?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here know about new computers?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I just bought a Dell desktop PC from Costco.

The box had a sticker saying it has "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics".

There is a built-in pair of video ports (one DP, one HDMI; red arrows), and a separate card with DVI, DP and HDMI ports (green arrows). The card is clearly the NVIDIA card.

If I plug my monitor into the on-board ones it says on an Intel UHD graphics 630 adapter. If I plug it into the card ones, it says its on the NVIDIA adapter.

I bought a spiffy 27" 4K monitor on sale at Costco. It looks great.

Costco has put the spiffy monitor on sale again. I'm actually thinking about getting a second one. I like lots of pixels.

Can anyone tell me -- or at least guess really well -- would I be able to plug a 4K monitor into the on-board port *and* a second one into the NVIDIA port?

Would it give me any great advantage to buy a second NVIDIA graphics card? I am planning to do a lot of photo editing. I'm not into gaming. But I want lots of really crisp pixels.

Thanks!

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30033 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Can you borrow a second monitor, plug it in and see what happens? Or if you have a TV that has HDMI port, try using that as the second monitor to try this out. Good luck!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12686 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have other FHD monitors, but not another UHD/4K one. My next step will be to plug in a second one and see how that goes.

I guess I could buy another 4K one from Costco and if the computer won't drive it, I can return it. It's Costco, after all.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I guess I could buy another 4K one from Costco and if the computer won't drive it, I can return it. It's Costco, after all.

That was going to be my suggestion.

Posts: 45731 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
You should be able to swap the monitors between the ports and see what results are visible. That may suggest how you want to proceed.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7392 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Put both monitors on the Video Card.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks. I will order another one and try it.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

That was going to be my suggestion.

Me, too. Costco for the win!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I ordered it yesterday. It's on the truck, out for delivery today. Wow.

https://www.costco.com/hp-27%2...oduct.100664726.html

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, it arrived. Took it out. Set it up. Plugged it in. Plugged it into the on-board port. It configured itself just like the first one... it even arranged the logical placement the same way I set them on the desk. The only thing I changed was not to show the taskbar on both screens.

Tomorrow I’ll dig up another cable and try markj’s suggestion of plugging them both into the card.

But right out of the box, it’s just peachy.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend using both video devices as they are using completely different drivers and while generally it will not present any problems, it is not best practice to do so.

I would uninstall the Intel drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller or DDU.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-d...taller-download.html

Then clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers. This involves disconnecting your network, booting into Safe Mode, running DDU and telling it to remove everything for Intel graphics. Then reboot into Safe mode again and I would remove the NVIDIA drivers and do a Clean and Shutdown (Install new GPU).

Then reconnect your network, and startup the computer. It will boot using the windows generic video driver. The visit nvidia.com and download and install the latest drivers.

You could download the latest driver software package from NVIDIA before you start the DDU process.

I have done this process many times and it works great to start out with clean video drivers.

I also use Driver Booster 8 to keep my drivers up-to-date. (I bought the pro version but the free version will work.

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post