well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Two more days, two different employment experiences

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two more days, two different employment experiences
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I am done at my current job officially on Friday but because my Mom is in the hospital, I am bagging it Thursday afternoon (my laptop would have been shut off at noon on Friday anyway).

But in leaving my corp job of 8 years to go to a nonprofit that is just 8 years old, I am observing the contrast.

I had to submit my resignation on the Workday platform, upload my letter and change my status. After that a page came up entitled "Exit interview" whereby I am to choose from drop downs about my reasons for leaving and "would you return to A&B?" WTF ..uh..not unless a human being would contact me, maybe??? Razzer (My direct leader and her leader both have been wonderful but they, too have no idea what to do in the case of someone resigning.)

I have a corporate credit card and our one security agent told me today she has no idea what to do with it..So I called Amex and cancelled it myself, and chopped it up in pieces...

I guess I just dump my laptop at IT and leave? Seems that is how it goes from another who left last week.

I am downloading my vacation calendar as I have not even received a summary of my final paycheck..do I get vaca days? If so, how many? A crap shoot.

In contrast, I got the most wonderful email from my new employer...with excited welcomes, a full, detailed agenda for my first day next week and links to forms I can fill out in advance.

I am not looking back....

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Earned vacation is supposed to be paid out, by law. (I know that's true in California, I assume it is in Massachusetts as well, because my foggy recollection is that it's federal law.)

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I thought workday was something my benevolent employer cooked up. You mean it's actually a thing?

We got workday, and another thing called worklife, dumped on us a couple months ago. They were unable to transfer most of the data from the previous systems and they have completely deleted everyone's profiles at least once.

I have heard of two people who tried to retire and the system would not work.

Yeah, the web form exit interview is priceless. I wonder how much very useful data they will get from that ... and if a human will ever see it. I have had actual HR professionals tell me that no one is ever honest in an exit interview, anyway.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Workday is a thing--it's actually one of the fastest-growing and largest ERP systems out there right now.

As for the web exit interview, it's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. There are many departing employees who refuse to talk to a person, but are OK with the anonymity of a website...particularly if they want to sent negative comments. One option I would recommend is to include a "I would like someone to call me about my experiences at X company..." option.

Whether someone is truthful or not as they leave is unclear. Research has been inconclusive. What is interesting to me is if you resurvey after, say 3-4 months, responses are often much different.

That will be $10,000. Big Grin

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Nina, Big Grin

And yeah...Workday Sucks!

I have never worked for a company this big so we are all a bit surprised at the silence. There are several of us who have resigned and we are calling ourselves our own "HR" dept.

Sadly our leaders aren't sure what to do either..so to be sure I called Amex yesterday and canceled my corp credit card. I had been told to just hand it in ("I think")...so have decided to protect myself and download all my employment data.

Will be asking for a receipt for the laptop, just sayin'.

On the flip side, my leader used her expense account to cater a lunch at the office today for my send off. All my long term work friends came...wonderful. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wait. Your mother is in the hopital? I hope she's ok.

Posts: 24627 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post