well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon Has a Problem

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Has a Problem
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Someone is messing with their ratings system. Maybe lots of people. Or maybe Amazon itself.

I want to buy a Lightning to headphone adapter for my phone. Sounds simple enough, right? I look for the ones with 5 stars as a lot of Amazon electronics are junk. There are plenty of them listed and I picked one.

Heh. The listing shows five stars with 0 negative reviews, but when you read the reviews they are almost 100% negative. I looked at maybe 10 of them and they are all the same. I finally gave up and bought what appears to be an Apple branded one on eBay. We'll see if it works.

We need a new coffeemaker and have always used drip machines. Cuisinarts have held up well in the past so I looked at those. Amazon sells thousands of them so there are lots of reviews. Or are there?

I looked at several different models and it turns out that the same reviews are shown for nearly of them. People complain about the glass carafe on models that have a metal one. People complain about switches on models that have buttons. Obviously these reviews are not real.

What's going on? Confused

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34968 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I often will use Fakespot to test the quality of Amazon reviews.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
In some cases it seems that Amazon lumps reviews together for different models (appliances) or different editions (books). Sometimes the actual purchased item is specified, other times it's not.

Then there are the fake reviews (often all clustered around the same time frame).

Some explanations:

https://www.theguardian.com/te...dled-product-reviews

https://webapps.stackexchange....er-the-wrong-product

Ever consider subscribing to Consumer Reports?

Leaving

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have two coffee makers. Both are Brauns. One with a simple on-off switch, the other with a click and auto-on/auto-off feature. You’re welcome to either one for the price of shipping. Unfortunately, shipping may be more than the price of a new one off Amazon.

I bought a two-pack of lightning-to-headphone adaptors at Best Buy for $14.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Issues with Amazon reviews are hotly debated on author's forums. The main issues are:

Fake good reviews posted by authors, their friends, and people they pay to post them.

Bad reviews posted by vengeful and unstable fans of fellow authors. Or vengeful and unstable authors themselves. Or the people they pay to do the hatchet jobs.

Reviews posted by people whose opinions are suspect, to put it kindly. (My favorite is the five-star review I got from someone who got an email from Amazon prompting them to review it, but who thought they meant they wanted a review of Kindle: "I don't know what to say. I turn it on and it works.")

I trust nobody except professional reviewers like Consumer Reports and Publishers Weekly. Maybe.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I often will use Fakespot to test the quality of Amazon reviews.

I’ve never heard of Fakespot. Thanks!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34968 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
FYI, Steve, I've been relying on Wirecutter reviews lately. They are very detailed, they explain their expertise, they explain why they reviewed and didn't review particular products. It's like Consumer Reports on well-written steroids.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever consider subscribing to Consumer Reports?

ROTFLMAO

Re Steve's OP, I think there must be a lot of variation depending on the item. I recently searched on Amazon for cheap peel and stick floor tiles. The numerical scores were sort so-so to good, but by looking at the photos people uploaded, I could quickly decide that those things were way too cheap and the photos looked horrible. I very quickly decided not to buy that brand and only buy from Lowes or HD where I can see the product.

Which is all to say, in that category, it seems the reviews did what they're intended to, i.e. they gave me a good idea of what I would get if I purchased that item.

Re WTG's other comment:
quote:
In some cases it seems that Amazon lumps reviews together for different models (appliances) or different editions (books).

I have noticed this elsewhere as well (probably either Lowes or HD online, since that's where I spend all my non-WTF screen time these days!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. +1 about the Wirecutter. If they have a review of the thing you're looking for, it's usually super helpful.

I have also been using the Consumer Reports website now for 24 hours (or is it 48??) and am finding it super helpful.

But all of this brings me back to the problem of internet shopping -- you can't see what you're getting and it can be a huge hassle!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
P.S. +1 about the Wirecutter. If they have a review of the thing you're looking for, it's usually super helpful.

I have also been using the Consumer Reports website now for 24 hours (or is it 48??) and am finding it super helpful.

But all of this brings me back to the problem of internet shopping -- you can't see what you're getting and it can be a huge hassle!

That matters more for things that have differences in quality and feel that are not readily apparent unless you see it in person. Clothing and towels come to mind. But an Instant Pot? I'm happy buying that on Amazon.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Ordered Nikon binoculars from Amazon. One review mentioned that he got grey market binoculars with
only a one year warranty.
I asked. The response was that the Nikon warranty was for one year. It is lifetime.
Sent them back.
Paid a little more and got them for REI.
Going to do some bird watching. Bob won't get on a bike or trike anymore. He does
like going to the wetlands park in Tucson for birding.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25706 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Just one? Wink

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad reviews posted by vengeful and unstable fans of fellow authors. Or vengeful and unstable authors themselves. Or the people they pay to do the hatchet jobs.

Yeah, I've seen those. Heck, I've had a few of those. Amazon actually pulled one of 'em. Big Grin

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Just installed fakespot. Seems like a great add-in for Chrome. So far, so good.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Yeah, I've seen those. Heck, I've had a few of those. Amazon actually pulled one of 'em. Big Grin

I've only asked once and they said no.

The person had posted many, many one-star reviews that made no sense and a few five-star reviews that also made no sense and were all for books by the same author. Amazon didn't find this situation actionable.

This kind of thing makes one jaundiced about amateur reviews.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post