well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    pique's home threatened

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pique's home threatened
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Noticed a post by pique on Facebook. She posted a picture of a lot of smoke near her house.
A fire is moving toward her home.
Friends have removed the horses. One must have sent her the picture.
If you have any influence with the gods of the winds contact them now.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no, this is terrifying!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... as we all run to FB.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
OMG. Pique’. Crossing fingers and toes, hoping everything will be OK. Comfort

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Be safe, piqué.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
How are things this morning?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Things are settling down but it is a very windy time of year and the fire keeps blazing back to life because it got into tree roots and spreading underground. We had 3" of snow the day after the fire and it didn't kill it. The FD and DNRC are out in the woods behind our place making sure it doesn't come back. We are warned to be on the alert as the weather warms up and dries out again.

There is an investigation. It may have been arson.

We came out of this unscathed, but we are working to fireproof our property every day.

Our downhill neighbors were not so lucky. They did not lose their homes but their yards, equipment and vehicles are either scorched or melted. Most of all they are traumatized.

A few years ago I set up an online neighborhood network--both email and text--so our 8 households could discuss matters that impacted all of us. Those message centers have ben super busy since Sunday.

If any good came out of this, it's that the 7 households who participate in the network all pulled together and helped each other, and we all feel a stronger bond. When you live on an isolated hillside in a severe climate, neighbors are family.

We were 5 hours away, but three of my neighbors put their own safety and interests aside to demand the fire department let them get our horses out, and to look for our dog (she was with us). They called and texted me repeatedly as we raced home. They had to abandon their own homes with nothing but the clothes they had on (there was literally not a second to grab a thing) and had to let their own animals loose, but they fought the FD to get to my house and load up my horses and get them out (they had to drive through a neighbors property to flee--our road was on fire and impassable). Then she sat with them for 4 hours until we got home.

Incredible.

We got home in time to help round up all the loose animals. They included goats, horses, chickens, cats, dogs, a parrot, and a cow. The cow spent the night at our place, and another neighbor brought it a round bale with his tractor. Below us everyone's fences were burned out. The hay was all lost too.

Lots of teary hugs going around. (Glad we've got vaccine immunity). I bought a spa days for my neighbor who pushed the FD around to save Deva and Simon, and gave her hazard pay (she was horse sitting). She is still coughing from the smoke.

We are all looking out for each other now on this hill. Wind is howling again today! Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold. So glad everyone got through this. Hope those underground fires go out soon. (How do you put out an underground fire? Just wait for massive rain? We had underground fires here in Oregon when the forests burned last fall. Hoping they’re all out now, after the winter.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good on the neighbors!

Glad everyone is safe!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh Pique, wow, just wow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Absolutely terrifying, pique.
A real nightmare!

All by the heart-warmng aspect of how your neighbors pulled together sacrificially. Sounds downright Amish!

SO glad you and four-footed friends are safe.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Again, wow. Comfort

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
What an amazing and encouraging story of how all your neighbors pulled together to save your animals. You live in a great community.

I am so glad you and your house are safe. Very scary!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post