well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    John Dingell on How To Fix the Government
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Dingell on How To Fix the Government
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
Totally impractical (as he admits), but he's always been a very bright guy, with his heart in the right place, even though he's always had a temper and has had little patience for those who disagree with him.

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...zu12bKlfs5Cc2kQfwYfk

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I disagree with his proposal to abolish the senate and the electoral college. He offers no way to balance the powers of the larger versus smaller states, just pure democracy. But money? That has merit. I think Citizens United was correctly decided but also think that needs to be remedied.

--------------------------------
“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

Posts: 10949 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I agree with several of his proposals. I'm not with you, Mik, on Citizens United. The parts that resonate with me in Dingells' article:

automatic voter registration (I'd go further and enable mandatory voting a la the Australian model, where you can cast a donkey vote)

normalizing money spent in elections (not sure how, but this is clearly skewing our electoral process)

I think automatic voter registration and aggressive legislation against voter suppression may go a long way toward solving problems generated by the Great Compromise.

Mik, out of curiosity, what part(s) of Citizens United do you think need to be remedied?

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I would tell you but you wouldn’t know what I was talking about anyway. Evil

“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bless your heart, Mik. Evil

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Big Grin

But you're giving him credit for having a heart.

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

ROTFLMAO