well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Back to School Plan

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Back to School Plan
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
So here’s the plan... Staff goes back September 2, kids return September 8. Students will return to in class full time. Students in Grades 4-12 are required to wear masks. School staff are being provided with “medical masks” (no details) and face shields. That came as a huge surprise.

I teach grade 3/4 in a school with about 250 people. A lot of our families face economic challenges, so we expect that most will return to school even though there is apparently a provincial plan in place for digital learning for students who stay home.

Our municipality has been relatively untouched. We are the only municipality in the province to not have a mask bylaw, and now cases are on the rise - largely through community spread. Two of our neighbouring municipalities were delayed in reopening by the province because of their higher cases, so of course people came here for hair cuts and to eat in restaurants. And people aren’t voluntarily wearing masks. We refuse to shop in Chatham and instead go to a neighbouring municipality where they have mask bylaws. While they do have higher cases, the cases are largely in the agriculture industry so the numbers and risk don’t exactly line up.

And then today I saw this. My school is in Chatham-Kent.

So now I’m consumed with trying to figure out how to handle this at home. My husband has severe asthma, which is currently well controlled with meds. We live in a small house. I can’t reasonably isolate from my husband and son. To be honest, I’m not sure my mental health could take that option at this point. Rob recently lost his job (another COVID casualty) so things are pretty stressful here already.

I realize there’s not anything anyone can do. Just ranting/whining. Thanks for listening.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry you are facing such difficulties on multiple fronts.

Comfort

I wish I had something more helpful/tangible to offer than a virtual hug...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What does the chart say? I can't see any of it even with my readers.

Did you mean to say Rob has COVID?

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Dol.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
What does the chart say? I can't see any of it even with my readers.

Did you mean to say Rob has COVID?

Here’s a link to the tweet that I got the graphic from: https://twitter.com/imgrund/st...904743955890176?s=21

No - Rob has severe asthma, which isn’t ideal if he were to get COVID.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I'm so sorry, Dol.
+1
Very sorry.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link and clarification, Dol.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dol, I am so sorry. At the very least, hopefully the mask situation will improve and that will help.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Goodness! I can’t believe any school district is considering opening up. It’s a death sentence.

I’m so sorry.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
VERY bad news, Dol! Frowner Hopefully some exemptions will open up (e.g. workers with live-in famialy members with high risk conditions). I had no idea Canada was pushing school reopenings like Trump's America.

Follows my comments in thread about Florida kids. Are the more affluent in Canada also pushing a pod way out for their kids?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
To be fair when you compare our cases to the US, it’s a completely different situation. Many teachers were ok with going back if they put smaller class sizes in place. They didn’t. And since our area is the one mask bylaw holdout in the province, I’m not very confident.

There are apparently online positions for teachers with medical risks, but I’m not sure about family members, and Rob definitely doesn’t have a severe enough condition that I would qualify. But it doesn’t mean I’m not worried.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are apparently online positions for teachers with medical risks, but I’m not sure about family members, and Rob definitely doesn’t have a severe enough condition that I would qualify.

This is one of the things I hate. In the face of a novel virus, who's to say what counts as an "acceptable" risk factor for allowing that person to teach/work online?

It's very unfair.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
So sorry for this. Comfort

I was out walking with a friend of mine who is a teacher and at this point, her school really doesn't have a plan in place at all yet.

She, too, is worried.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post