well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano Chord Helps with Nightmares...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Chord Helps with Nightmares...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
New nightmare "treatment"

Hearing a piano chord while imagining a more positive ending to a scary dream was part of an experimental method that led to fewer nightmares!

OK, what's the rather glaring piece of missing information in this article?

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you would like to hear the chord they use. Big Grin

I was unaware of this type of therapy or of the number of people who suffer recurring nightmares. I very seldom have them, but if I do, returning to sleep is not always an easy choice.

I do have dreams of a certain recurring pattern that are only interrupted by awakening as far as I can perceive. They generally involve trying to go someplace or return home and encountering obstacle after obstacle - missing passport, ticket, or money; wrong turns or misdirections; failed connections; unknown places; disagreements with a traveling companion if one exists in the particular dream; etc. I don't classify these dreams as nightmares because they don't end in a disaster but simply go on and on until I awake. Perhaps they have become more frequent since my mobility has been restricted. I think it could be somehow related since sometimes I'm disappointed in awakening without dreaming how the situation resolves itself.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing you would like to hear the chord they use.

Yep. I would be happy simply to know the chord. I'm sure I'm still capable of replicating it myself!

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
I'm guessing you would like to hear the chord they use.

Yep. I would be happy simply to know the chord. I'm sure I'm still capable of replicating it myself!

I’m confused, the chord was in the article.

It’s written as C69, which looks funny because the numbers aren’t superscripted, but it’s a C major with the 6th and 9th added: C-E-G-A-D.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I imagine that it's the secret chord that David played to please the Lord.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
C-E-G-A-D.
That’s also a pentatonic scale.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s written as C69, which looks funny because the numbers aren’t superscripted, but it’s a C major with the 6th and 9th added: C-E-G-A-D.

I missed that!

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perogamvros said they used the C69 piano chord, but emphasized that the sound itself does not matter in the context of TMR. He added, though, that it would be preferable to “avoid a sound with some strong connotations, like, for example, a negatively connotated sound.”

Yeah, negative connotations ...

Tritone anyone ...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I imagine that it's the secret chord that David played to please the Lord.

Big Grin Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This whole thing about using a piano chord is kinda bugging me.

I think having the same chords just repeated would be kinda yucky.... Why did they choose a single piano chord instead of other options, like more than one chord or an actual piece of music. Why did they choose piano and not guitar? Or harp?

Also I think they need to re-do the study and add experimental groups of musicians and non-musicians.

I need answers.....

WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they came to choose a piano chord to elicit a response, but auditory signals have a long history in psychological experiments. I'm reminded of Pavlov and his dogs.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that the pitch level of the tuning and the stretch between intervals in the tuning would make a big difference in the therapeutic (if any) effect.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Well, it sort of sounds like BS to me. But it could be a very satisfying chord, especially in a wider, more open note distribution, say with c in the deep bass and others spread across adjacent octaves. And why piano? It would be more effective played as a drone, with orchestral sounds, or even electronically.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I would have thought it would be a chord progression with a really satisfying resolution.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they're going for something that doesn't foster concentration. Relaxation instead.