well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Avalanche was not too bad
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avalanche was not too bad
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Is this the same one then?

https://news.yahoo.com/avalanc...ghway-173039581.html

Click on the link for a video -- how terrifying!!

That is from the second one yesterday.
There was another today that did not hit the highway.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Today the long term locals are watching for signs of more. There are cracks everywhere.
There are notices advising against back country skiing. One death near Telluride so far. Expecting more.
This time the cracks are obvious. Maybe that will deter some of the youngsters.
Saw some pictures of places where huge slides happened.

The warmer snow fell on settled cold snow. That leaves layers. The low yesterday was 29F. That leaves a H*ll of a lot of snow ready to slide.
Todays high was 33 with bright sun.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"So ... Vail Pass closed after an avalanche swept a tow truck off the pass.

Avalanche took out a natural gas pipeline next to a gas station near Copper Mountain; so I-70 closed from Frisco to Copper, and Hwy 91 closed Copper to Leadville. Copper Mountain won't open cuz employees can't get there.

A-Basin closed so no one gets killed by avalanches on Hwy 6. Hwy 9 closed both directions near Heeney due to a rock slide. Hwy 40 closed.

If a ski resort is open, all the bowls and high alpine lifts are closed.

Avalanche danger is now Level 5 - which never happens. NWS is warning about "historic" slides." Stolen from Brian D

Now watching this from Tucson