well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    School me, coffee nerds

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me, coffee nerds
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I have been so disappointed by the brew in many specialty coffee shops. And it may be my fault, because of my history with coffee.

I had an adult piano student in the early 1970s who was co-owner of one of the nascent coffee roasters in San Francisco. He recommended a light French roast as the ideal. So I embraced that and really liked it.

I still like it, but tastes have changed. Now it's hard to find a roast like that; we're told that medium roast is what you want. Fancy shops carry light to medium. It's supposed to bring out all the best nuances in coffee: fruit, spice, etc. But what I taste, usually, is: sour and weird.

So, do I need to re-educate my palate?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is for coffee you brew at home, right? Do you want to drink it hot? I ask because you might like a medium roast cold-brewed. It could be heated up afterwards of course. But cold brew is IMO the best way to experience coffee at its best without any acidity, and without adding cream, sugar etc.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18289 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
If you’ve never had cold brew, first you should just find a coffee shop that has some and see if you like it. There are also a couple different brands sold in supermarkets, in the refrigerated section, so that’s another place to start.

Then if you like it, you could get a pitcher specially made for making cold brew:

https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-...e%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-3

Posts: 18289 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was introduced to what I consider the best of cold brew by a little shop in Holland Michigan... Deep, rich without any of the bitterness. I ordered a cup of iced coffee in the summer and asked if they had cream and the guy said "try it first". He was right!

Unfortunately, there are lots of places cold brewing without the same result! I find many have that bitterness that I wanted to avoid. Maybe it is just a preference, like all of those super-hoppy IPA beers that are popular now?

I do make my own - you might have to experiment with grind, length of brew and even temperature - I prefer mine set out, rather than in the fridge.

For drip coffee makers, there are a few tricks to try to get rid of the sour and weird -

1. sprinkle a little salt over the grounds before brewing (yes, really!)

2. Pre-wet the grounds with a little boiling water. More like the pour-over approach that some coffee shops offer. The technique is to pour the boiling water over the grounds to get a "bloom", then let them rest for a minute before turning on the coffeemaker.

3. Filter the water

4. Choose a slightly coarser grind

5. Grind just before brewing

Good luck!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I feel like the drunk listening to people talk about wine, the whole time thinking ‘just give me a bottle of thunderbird in a paper bag’.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I feel like the drunk listening to people talk about wine, the whole time thinking ‘just give me a bottle of thunderbird in a paper bag’.

Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear...I don't object to bitterness or acidity in coffee; I like them. I think cold brew is supposed to diminish them. But I'm talking about sourness, distinctly different. Maybe I'm interpreting those desirable "fruity" flavors as sour?

I've had cold brew once or twice but meh...maybe I didn't like those particular beans, or maybe it's not for me.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

ROTFLMAO

I actually swing both ways (har) -- IOW, I love a really good, high quality coffee, but I will also drink just about any coffee and love it. My philosophy of coffee is like the philosophy of pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty darn good.

RP, I missed (or mentally edited out) the part about "sourness" ... not sure what to tell you in that case. Although, whenever I have a really good cold brew, I always think it has a sweetness to it. I put cream (or actually usually whole milk) and sugar in regular coffee, but with a good cold brew I either have it black or else with just cream, no sugar.

Sorry, I suspect this isn't very helpful!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:

ROTFLMAO

Now that I allow myself one half-caffeine a day I am more picky.
I mix Daz Bog whole bean coffees, grind them, stir the grounds and keep it in a special coffee canister.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25658 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I have been so disappointed by the brew in many specialty coffee shops

So, do I need to re-educate my palate?

Have you tried maple syrup in your coffee?

Offered at Pollys Pancakes and I got hooked.

I buy fresh maple syrup by the gallon. And most of it goes in my morning coffee!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Have you tried maple syrup in your coffee?

Offered at Pollys Pancakes and I got hooked.
Another vote for Polly's Pancakes! We went there while on a bicycle tour of New England back in the 1970s. Thought it was our secret find of the year. Great place!

I LOVE maple syrup but on other things...I think I prefer coffee black with nothing in it. Unless I get a fancy espresso drink somewhere, like a cappuccino or cortado.