well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An Interesting Observation From Twitter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Interesting Observation From Twitter
 Login/Join

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
Gosh I've never seen a prediction held to such rigorous scientific standards. I appreciate that you're both entirely objective fact-based thinkers and that you're reacting to my lack of evidence rather than the prediction itself. I'm sure you'd react the same way had I predicted a zero vote total for Trump from people of color in 2020. Because it's all about the facts for you two.

I've heard several long-form discussions with people of color who are in positions of cultural leadership, one of whom has even started a PAC, who are making this prediction, and I buy it and am making the prediction myself. It is in fact a rather humble prediction. That Trump will get something north of the votes he got in 2016 from people of color. That's not necessarily saying much.

You are using the term "people of color" in a way that gives you enormous room to fudge. Please be specific. African-Americans? Hispanic-Americans (or Latinos)? Asian-Americans? Are you predicting higher vote totals for each group, or for all together, and are you including all, or only some?

And are you talking raw vote totals, or percentages?

I meant to unambiguously refer to African Americans. They are the folk I have heard in the discussions I mentioned.

But you're right, it is unclear language. I heard Yang refer to himself as a "person of color" recently and it was the first time in my life I'd ever heard an Asian refer to themselves that way.

Anything for votes, I guess.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yang is describing himself consistently with federal law. Anyone who doesn't declare themselves as 100% Caucasian is considered a person of color: Asian, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, multiple races.

And, FWIW, the recommendation is that those from the middle east consider themselves as Asian. This gets confusing for some countries, like Israel, where their population is split between Arab ("Asian") and European descent.

So Yang isn't trolling for votes. He's describing himself as the federal government would describe him.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Well I’m happy to agree to disagree if you believe the main reason he refers to himself that way is because the government told him to. I’m confident that we are all free to refer to ourselves as we please, and that “person of color” has cultural connotations that an upper class Asian person hardly conforms with. But I have no interest in arguing those points. By all means disagree as you please.

That said, yang is probably my favorite dem candidate. But that’s not saying much.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm just saying he is a minority and a person of color.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Not in Asia and as Horace says, that term in this country holds implications that do not apply to Yang.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How so?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
I know a full-blooded native American who will not vote for Pete. She says she is not alone.
Just curious, what's her reason for not voting for Pete?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How so?

"Person of color" is a category we care about only inasmuch as it signifies disadvantage. Mr Yang has never been disadvantaged.

I suppose it would be fun to imagine that he faced rampant racism in his life, and without ever having heard him speak of it, I'll just bet he has a story at the ready if ever asked about that. (Or come to think of it, he'd probably just say that the story is too personal to share in detail but yes definitely he knows what it is to face racism.) But I don't really buy that racism has played any meaningful part in his life.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
So "person of color" means disadvantage, and you get to decide who has experienced racism based on how much money they have in the bank?

Uh, OK.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
No, I get to have an opinion about whether Mr Yang has some special insight into racism, due to being a "person of color".

You get to have an opinion about that, too.

I do understand that our cultural programming tells us to believe that he does. He wouldn't, after all, go around saying he was the only "person of color" on the debate stage if that implication were not present.