well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An Interesting Observation From Twitter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Interesting Observation From Twitter
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
You know all those moderates and progressives who will vote for the Democratic candidate if their preferred choice is the nominee?

But have said, they won’t be able to vote for some of the other candidates, even as a vote against Trump?

Think of everyone you know who fits that category.

How many of them aren’t Caucasian? Any?

I’ll admit that I’ve heard a couple of minorities say they simply won’t vote for Pete. But it’s definitely a fractional minority of all the people stamping their feet and holding their breath for or against Bernie, or Elizabeth.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

How many of them aren’t Caucasian? Any?

Enough to get Trump elected in 2016. Compare the African American turnout in PA and MI and WI between 2012 and 2016

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I meant, this year.

Some people have realized what’s at stake. Some haven’t.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Signs are pointing to more people of color voting for Trump in 2020 than in 2016. Stay tuned.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
Signs are pointing to more people of color voting for Trump in 2020 than in 2016. Stay tuned.

Cite?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34959 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Nope I don’t have a cite. But I welcome judgment in retrospect if you keep it in mind till the election.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I remember the first time I asked for a cite and was told that facts no longer matter.

It was at that exact moment I realized we were well and truly hosed.

Posts: 34959 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Well I wouldn’t go extrapolating the end of the world just because someone somewhere made a prediction you hope doesn’t come true.

My reasons for making the prediction are purely anecdotal. Just like Quirt’s observation that started this thread.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I wouldn’t go extrapolating the end of the world just because someone somewhere made a prediction you hope doesn’t come true.

My reasons for making the prediction are purely anecdotal. Just like Quirt’s observation that started this thread.

Cute, and the reason why I left several Internet forums.

I like facts. Feel free to troll as you like.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not quite. I asked each person to think about the people they knew ... i.e., their own personal knowledge base.

And then I gave my own observation.

You are getting to be quite expert at trolling. Props.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Gosh I've never seen a prediction held to such rigorous scientific standards. I appreciate that you're both entirely objective fact-based thinkers and that you're reacting to my lack of evidence rather than the prediction itself. I'm sure you'd react the same way had I predicted a zero vote total for Trump from people of color in 2020. Because it's all about the facts for you two.

I've heard several long-form discussions with people of color who are in positions of cultural leadership, one of whom has even started a PAC, who are making this prediction, and I buy it and am making the prediction myself. It is in fact a rather humble prediction. That Trump will get something north of the votes he got in 2016 from people of color. That's not necessarily saying much.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
"Are you better off today than you were four years ago" still carries a powerful punch. I don't care what group you are in.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
"Are you better off today than you were four years ago" still carries a powerful punch. I don't care what group you are in.

That is fair.

However, if you are Hispanic (or Latino, in case I am confusing the terms), you may be an immigrant, you may be related to or friends with immigrants, you may know people who'd like to immigrate, etc. For that not-insubstantial group, I imagine they won't necessarily answer your question based strictly on economic data.

Likewise, if you have a pre-existing health condition and are watching with any degree of attention (a large assumption, I know), you might have concerns about your economic future.

Likewise, if you are a senior citizen or are close to being a senior citizen, and if you've paid any attention at all to Trump's or McConnell's comments about Social Security and Medicare being addressed in the second term, you might have different short-term and long-term views about your economic situation.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gosh I've never seen a prediction held to such rigorous scientific standards. I appreciate that you're both entirely objective fact-based thinkers and that you're reacting to my lack of evidence rather than the prediction itself. I'm sure you'd react the same way had I predicted a zero vote total for Trump from people of color in 2020. Because it's all about the facts for you two.

I've heard several long-form discussions with people of color who are in positions of cultural leadership, one of whom has even started a PAC, who are making this prediction, and I buy it and am making the prediction myself. It is in fact a rather humble prediction. That Trump will get something north of the votes he got in 2016 from people of color. That's not necessarily saying much.

You are using the term "people of color" in a way that gives you enormous room to fudge. Please be specific. African-Americans? Hispanic-Americans (or Latinos)? Asian-Americans? Are you predicting higher vote totals for each group, or for all together, and are you including all, or only some?

And are you talking raw vote totals, or percentages?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I know a full-blooded native American who will not vote for Pete. She says she is not alone.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post