well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    OMG! Guess what I got.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OMG! Guess what I got.
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The swiping techniques are a bit different on this model, I think.

What model is it?

It's an Xr.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with that model, but it uses the same iOS as later phones do, which means the swiping functions should work the same. Ask will know more than I do.

Meanwhile, Apple stores offer free classes on how to use their products. You might enjoy attending one on learning about all the cool stuff your new phone can do.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Coming in late to this thread, but congrats!

Is the Xr the one with three cameras on the back?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will definitely go to the Apple store for a tutorial. You have to sign up for specific time slots, but no problem.

And what surprised me is, even though the employees are pretty young, they don't seem to be condescending to those of us who are unfamiliar with the technology.

SK, the one with 3 cameras is the new one, iPhone 11. Only one camera on mine.

I am having trouble reading text. I thought you were supposed to make a pincer-like movement with your fingers to reduce and enlarge. I must be doing something wrong, or maybe you can only do that on specific functions.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am having trouble reading text. I thought you were supposed to make a pincer-like movement with your fingers to reduce and enlarge. I must be doing something wrong, or maybe you can only do that on specific functions.

There are a bunch of different ways to make text more readable, but it depends on what you’re looking at. Sometimes you can zoom with your fingers, sometimes not. If it’s a webpage, look up in the url, you should see two letter As, tap on that and then change the font size (try 125 first).

The other thing you can do is go into Settings (the gear) and you should see Accessibility, from there you can make changes to display and text size. If that doesn’t work... hmm, get eyeglasses with progressive lenses? Razzer

Re the camera, I forgot the new model is 11. Still, the X will have a great camera, so have fun taking photos!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Have taken two orientation classes on the iPhone at the Apple store. I am overwhelmed at just how much these little gadgets can do, and that's with just a few of the basic apps. I can see how they take over people's lives now.

I'm still just barely getting comfortable with it. I don't expect to use all the functions I'm learning about.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad you attended the classes.
I have an XR.
Now I can direct any questions to you. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Miller has her phone set up so everything is in a larger font. I’ll ask her how she did that.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs. Miller has her phone set up so everything is in a larger font. I’ll ask her how she did that.
They discussed that at one of the classes. It seems actually pretty easy but I haven't yet gone through the steps to execute it. The phone as a whole is extremely flexible (so many options that it's hard to keep them all straight.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Settings>accessibility>display>text size. No more reading glasses.

Have you used the flashlight to read the menu in a dark restaurant yet?

Game changer!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you used the flashlight to read the menu in a dark restaurant yet?

Game changer!

I'm so with you there.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I'll use it to read programs in a dark concert hall. So many times I wish I had a small flashlight.