well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    OMG! Guess what I got.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OMG! Guess what I got.
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Be gentle with me.

A smartphone. An earlier iPhone. I've barely looked at it so far. But they set it all up at the Apple store. I have much to learn! It is a Xmas present-in-advance from my wife.

I'm NOT giving up my flip phone. It's on an incredibly cheap pay-as-you-go plan that's no longer offered. I guess I pay about $100 a year for the service; with the iPhone I will use it less often, but there's no minimum required. Even the carrier said I shouldn't get rid of it.

Should be useful in rough neighborhoods. Whip out that flip phone; nobody will want to steal it!

I may be asking you folks for phone advice soon...

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Smiler

Interestingly enough, I broke my flip phone, and decided to replace it with the flip phone I broke, a $20 Alcatel. It might not be some people's cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it.

Posts: 24657 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's a tool. Get the tool that does what you need done.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The way to learn what it does is to play with it. Punch all the buttons and see what they do.

I think you’ll really like it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34853 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My fave flip phone ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
RealPlayer,
Your Luddite card is hereby revoked.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
RealPlayer,

Hey, wait a minute. I still have an acoustic piano, 4 kerosene lamps and a manual coffee grinder!!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The first thing to learn is the the four “swipes”. Up from center of screen, down from center, up from bottom of screen, down from top of screen. You’ll uncover a lot of features you don’t see otherwise.

One of the most useful of these is the flashlight. I use it pretty much every day.

Posts: 34853 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
And the camera - take a picture every day, you may be surprised by what you find!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
RealPlayer,

Hey, wait a minute. I still have an acoustic piano, 4 kerosene lamps and a manual coffee grinder!!

Ok, will refer this to the committee.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chas - Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37799 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The swiping techniques are a bit different on this model, I think.

So, my daughter was over yesterday and "taught" us how to use the phone with blindingly fast swipes and taps. That would be like me "teaching" my 10 y.o. grandson to play a Bach prelude by zipping through it at full speed from beginning to end.

Please SLOW DOWN so we can register what you're doing!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The swiping techniques are a bit different on this model, I think.

What model is it?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Maybe they mean the swiping form of typing. My 8 has that feature, but I haven't learned that yet.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/...wipe-type-in-ios-13/

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The phone I chose this last time (google
Pixel 2) was for its camera. It’s amazing, and I hardly use it for anything else. I’m getting good enough reference photos use for paintings on it, I and the photos to my iPad, so my old eyes can see them larger.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post