well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Subterranean Paris - Félix Nadar

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subterranean Paris - Félix Nadar
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Subterranean Paris: Félix Nadar’s Descent Into the Parisian Underground

An excerpt from the celebrated 19th-century photographer's memoir "When I Was a Photographer."

In 1900, at the age of 80, the pioneering photographer Félix Nadar published his memoir Quand j’étais photographe (“When I Was a Photographer”). It was finally translated into English in 2015. Composed as a series of 14 vignettes, “When I Was a Photographer” is one of the most wonderful accounts we have not only of Nadar’s richly intense and compelling life but also of the early decades of photography. Charming, often humorous, and imbued with the author’s rogue personality, each vignette functions as an opening onto the reading labyrinth that is at once Nadar’s life and text. In the excerpt from the book that follows — two isolated passages from an entry titled “Subterranean Paris,” accompanied by a handful of photographs — Nadar chronicles his descent into the sewers and catacombs of Paris, where he experimented with the use of artificial lighting, producing the first images of their kind.

https://thereader.mitpress.mit...arisian-underground/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37931 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post