well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What else will this court do?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What else will this court do?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Makes sense.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hillary on where this could co

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Overturn Griswold v. Connecticut?

Conceivable on the merits but no state in 2022 would pass a law putting it to the test.

TEXAS: “Hold my beer”

Actually some states will outlaw IUDs and the morning after pill. But I don’t think it will be subject to a challenge under griswold since it’s just a particular method, not a ban on birth control generally.
They start by chipping away at it.

Parental notification and consent for anyone under 18. Then what? Make it illegal to provide BC to unmarried people? They’ll think of somewhere else to start chipping.

The structural problem with all this is the unequal treatment of men and women. They rejoice in guys doing anything (eg: I-1, Roy Moore) but shame any woman who has sex outside of marriage and for any purpose other than making babies ( https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...-complaint-rcna26418 ). But most forms of BC are used by women, so they probably won’t have any problem banning them.

These people don’t seem to have any problem with double-standards as long as it is they themselves who are holding them.

It’s a crock.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ditch the exclusionary rule for evidence obtained unlawfully.

Ditch the Miranda rights. Everyone knows them by now, right?

End the right to counsel for everything other than capital crimes, and maybe not even then.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Ditch the exclusionary rule for evidence obtained unlawfully.

Ditch the Miranda rights. Everyone knows them by now, right?

End the right to counsel for everything other than capital crimes, and maybe not even then.

My dad used to complain heavily about #1, saying “two wrongs don’t make a right”. But his view was shaped by movies where the obviously guilty guy was getting off because Callahan didn’t have a warrant.

#2 seems extreme if you mean eliminating the rights. But do you just mean removing the requirement to read them?

#3 is hard to imagine getting 5 votes even in this court.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ooh! Ooh! Death penalty! They'll do something with the death penalty. Like nothing can be considered "cruel or unusual". Heck, it's a criminal, so if they squirm and gasp for a few minutes while the lethal injection takes its course, that's probably a lot less than what their victims experienced. An eye for an eye, and all that.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
What else do you think they’ll do after overruling Roe/Casey?

My predictions:

1). end affirmative action, perhaps in a sweeping way prohibiting any race based preferences such as those creeping into medicine.

2) end ‘Chevron deference’, and perhaps other restrictions of the power of the administrative state.

3) chip away at gun control measures

4) allow limited religious exceptions to LGBT inclusion (eg wedding cake guy)

Less likely but possible:

5) end birthright citizenship

What they won’t do:

1) reverse oberfell or bostock

Anyone else care to make predictions?

Scotus granted cert on Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo last week. As one commentator put it, “Chevron deference should start thinking about what its last meal is going to be.”

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I don't know what THIS court is gonna do, but the next time we have a solid liberal majority I would think it might consider a full review of the decisions made by the current current court under some form of "poisonous fruit" doctrine.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The court is broken. It is well past time to break it the rest of the way by packing the court...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Get rid of special "hate crimes" sentencing laws.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
The court is broken. It is well past time to break it the rest of the way by packing the court...

It sure seems like playing dirty "like them", but I guess I too don't see any other way out of the present impasse with its catastrophic consequences.

But before anybody agrees with me or ron, it requires a very very deep analysis (ala AI futurism) of what the risks of so doing could be.

Along with probabilities affixed.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Get rid of special "hate crimes" sentencing laws.

How come, Nina? Not that I'm in love with them, but why are you singling that out for changing?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
She’s not advocating for that, she’s making a prediction about what the court might do.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jon. I'll admit it was weird to leave that comment just hanging out there with no explanation. Yes, that's my prediction, not what I want.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post