well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    OXIMETER Recommendation for sick friend (also wondering about my exposure)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OXIMETER Recommendation for sick friend (also wondering about my exposure)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I just heard from a good friend who also acts as my general handyperson - he and his wife (asthmatic and immune disorder) - both developed classic symptoms of COVID yesterday evening. Both feel super lousy (extra hard as they have a small farm to maintain, therefore numerous animals that need care.)

This includes a dog who appears to have the same GI symptoms as he does thus requiring letting out throughout the night. Super drag. (They JUST took possession of a lovely miniature horse yesterday too. )

I was about to suggest I order an oximeter from Amazon, especially to keep track of his wife's lung function. I owe him for last help anyhow. Wondering if any of you have suggestions about a good one from among those they offer at Amazon. How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/MIBEST-...pbooks%2C183&sr=1-12)

I last saw him about a week ago (he insisted coming over again to try to work on the toilet - succeeded in getting a little drainage. ) *

As far as my exposure goes, this preceded the onset of his symptoms by that week, so I should be in the clear. (Right? ) He mostly wears a masks except that working on the toilet we thought the germs from heavy duty plunging and snaking, would contaminate it - however I wasn't with him during this work. (I think) I admit I wasn't as diligent at social distancing as I should have been. - we chat a good deal too.

*Re toilet. He was unable to find a replacement flapper as it seems the tank and parts date from 1957!?! He really tried.
He disconnected the tank which prevented overflow, and also got the adjacent sink to work without going to the toilet. The plan was to delay more extreme measures for now.

BTW he discovered that the shut off valve was set to be OPEN as much as possible! Eeker Somebody forgot righty tighty, lefty loosey.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They both seem to work fine. They both come with lanyards, and the second one also has a case.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank you, wtg!

There's quite a difference in price - have you noticed any difference in the readings or other aspects of their function?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The readings are somewhat different. Not sure which is more accurate. As we've discussed with respect to thermometers, probably best to use one device and to know what your "normal" is on that device.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’ve not seen much variation across (modern) devices and I’ve used them regularly for a decade, though not so much recently.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I bought a Homedics one from Costco dot com.

It does give some interesting readings... I put it on and it reads 98, then it starts dropping to 97, 96, 95... then back up a few numbers.

I have nothing to compare it to or calibrate it against.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mark and I have been having a friendly competition with the Oximeter.

You can easily get it to 99% just by taking a few slow, deep breaths right before you put it on your finger.

We recently started do that as a way to beat each other's reading. lol

Without cheating, We are typically in the 97-98 range and on rare occasion we have seen lower numbers but nothing below 94 or so. Again, a few deep breaths and no COVID! lol

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big price drop on one of the oximeters I bought. I paid $32, it just dropped to $19.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y...psc=1&language=en_US

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
When I was monitoring my ox levels (not Covid-related), I was told to not worry about the exact number but instead watch for a significant drop from my "usual."

(That was without using the markj methodology Big Grin )

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post