well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The "Catastrophic" Elder Boom in Maine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Catastrophic" Elder Boom in Maine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The solution will be to bring in more immigrant labor - the traditional source of home care employees. Set up a nice system where they are legal and can pay taxes.

Seems straightforward enough.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The solution will be to bring in more immigrant labor - the traditional source of home care employees. Set up a nice system where they are legal and can pay taxes.
+1

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Seems straightforward enough.

Programs like that have been done before for farm labor.. The present political climate will cause some difficulties.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mayor Pete has been thinking about this.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mayor Pete is a very smart guy.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We were so lucky that we were able to sell our house in Aroostook county, pretty sure it’s the worst county in Maine with the aging issue. Though with climate change and the abundance of water in that area, it may be the place to be in 50 years...

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If history repeats itself, the immigrants that come in on worker visas will be taken advantage of by their employers. Our history on this not new idea isn't that great.

The new idea is bringing them in for things like eldercare and housekeeping. There used to be a program specifically targeting field and railroad workers. It was, in my opinion, shameful. I saw it up close and personal in Yuma and the fields surrounding Phoenix. Yes, I'm that old. Big Grin

Bracero program

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post