well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I’m starting to wonder

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m starting to wonder
 Login/Join

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted
Last month, on February 15th, I was awakened by a nagging cough. It was annoying, but I blamed it on dry indoor air. As the day progressed, the cough didn’t go away, and by mid-afternoon felt like utter carp. Took an antihistamine and some ibuprofen, then went to bed at 3:30. I didn’t wake up until 8:00 the next morning. I kept the fever down with ibuprofen, but it still spiked up past 102°, and had extreme fatigue, chills, no appetite, and the cough got worse. Queue a nice nap, a pitiful attempt at eating dinner, then another 13-hour sleep.

During this whole time, I never experienced any nasal symptoms; my sinuses were clear and there was no sore throat from post-nasal drip. Cough suppressant helped reduce the coughing, but the fever seesawed every few hours. This went on for two more days. When the fever finally broke, I started feeling a bit more human. Meanwhile, the furnace died. WTF

I went back to work on the 20th (while my husband stayed home and had a new furnace installed), but halfway through the day I realized my return had been premature. Stayed home on the 21st, and did more convalescing the following weekend. The cough diminished enough that I didn’t need to take medicine to keep it under control.

Now, a month later, I still have the cough, but feel fine otherwise.

My husband developed the same thing, only much milder, without the fatigue.

Two days prior to my symptoms appearing, we had both attended the Chicago Auto Show. Crowds of people, with everyone touching everything.

I thought this was the weirdest seasonal flu I had ever had, since I never even got a runny nose. It was always just the cough and fever. Looking at charts recently about how to distinguish symptoms of cold, flu and Covid-19, I’m starting to think I had the latter.

Nobody we know besides me and my husband has had this.

--------------------------------
[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking you're right.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hopefully there will be a time soon when you can be safely tested.
Hope the CV is in your past.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, Matt, I'm glad you both seem to have recovered -- though you still have a cough, right? Hopefully that resolves quickly for you both!

In a perfect world, you would get a test to see if you have antibodies or other markers (RNA was it?) that would show you had COVID-19 or not. But (shocker) this isn't a perfect world...

Nevertheless, it sounds like you are both on the mend, and for now that's the most important thing!

When you went to work, would you have been close to anyone else? Should they be informed?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Wouldn't it be wise to at least try to get tested so you and hubby know if you should quarantine?

I've had a cough and chest tightness--extremely mild--for about ten days. But I have not had a fever and I have had sniffles today. A neti pot has helped, Acupuncture made it go away for 2-3 days (acupuncturist has now closed up shop). And going out for a walk/barn chores in sun/fresh air makes it disappear. Only possible point of transmission is either my PT sessions, or, more likely, the two days I spent in Missoula, visiting doctors and the hospital. That was 3 weeks ago. I've been paranoid about getting sick well before we heard of C19, because I had enough on my plate with the surgery, so I've worn gloves, washed hands, not touched anybody, used hand sanitizer and kept my distance from everybody for three months now.

I'm holed up at home because our county is shut down so nothing to go into town for anyway. Today is actually the first day when I coughed quite a bit when I first got up. Before today I coughed maybe 3x in 16 hrs--Every other day--not enough to make me think anything much was going on.

If it weren't for the pandemic I would be thinking this is a cold trying to take hold--and not very successfully.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It has been over a month. If people are contagious for a month, we’re all doomed.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear. The infection of WTF is beginning. (Gratitude for emoticons, though sorely missing a coughing one...)

Wishing everyone affected the mildest of cases if at all. Also, if possible, at the tail end when there's no crunch for treatment facilities and ideally also an effective vaccine!

Meanwhile, "flatten that curve". (A son says if he hears that phrase again he will flatten the person saying it Wink)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Hopefully there will be a time soon when you can be safely tested.
Hope the CV is in your past.

This.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Assuming you’re correct about having contracted and recovered from COVID-19, CONGRATULATIONS, Matt and Mr. Matt, for having acquired immunity. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
We had this discussion today at my last visit to the office.

The week of Presidents day, our entire office was out sick..just one person was in the office...Cough and chest congestion was a common complaint. As it was school vaca week, our workload was less so that folks were more ok with staying home. (My employer is SUPER supportive and encouraged all to stay home no matter the sick time they have.)

I spent the holiday weekend sleeping and then took 3 additional sick days off (unprecedented in my life)

I had a horrible bronchitis like I cannot remember (under a Dr's care)..at one point in the middle of the night I considered a trip to the ER..

My boss fell sick a few days later, she is much younger than me..but we joked about our matching lingering coughs..for me a cough is normal with my asthma...Weirdly I had NO fever, rather a low temp.

But looking back I had a headache for a week...and we both had such fatigue...we could not work a full day for 2 weeks or more...

I remember a Monday when I woke up and thought.."Wow, I don't feel ill!"

We are starting to think that we have already had the virus...I know it is not available yet but would love a titer to see..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I plan to keep all of my posts at least six posts away from Matt's.

I had some kind of virus a couple of weeks ago - no cough some digestive and lung issues, fatigue. Again, there was no point in trying to get a test that wasn't around.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I plan to keep all of my posts at least six posts away from Matt's.

ROTFLMAO

For those of you wondering, it sure would be nice if you could get the antibody test. Maybe someday...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Assuming you’re correct about having contracted and recovered from COVID-19, CONGRATULATIONS, Matt and Mr. Matt, for having acquired immunity. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

If you get acquired immunity. They aren't sure yet.

And if the acquired immunity doesn't wane over time. They don't know that yet either.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post