well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Whatchadoin' for Pesach?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whatchadoin' for Pesach?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I am so utterly non-observant. I have some matzo in the cupboard. I'll eat some. I think that'll be about it.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Same thing I did last year.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Matzos. I love matzos. Gotta put egg and onion matzos on the grocery list.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Tonight at 6 my synagogue is going to do a virtual Seder - members will show their Seder plates. Based on last virtual Sabbath discussion, I expect to be the only one with a real shank bone. I could wish our supermarket that ordered it for me, had gotten a much smaller one - will dominate the plate. Synagogue will print a pdf Haggadah, and sons will "attend" too - favor to Mom) - one from Boston, the other from CA.

Tomorrow (Second Night) we plan to do a Skyped Seder (the spoken part, with minimal eating). Hopefully we will all have a copy of our traditional family Haggadah. Without the shared food, it won't quite be the same!

It's already been a BIG shift, since two of the three of us are on the Keto diet. Adaptations/substitutions for the keto among us to be, diluted (small) wine glasses, tiny bite of matzah, improvised charoset (mashed tiny bit of half an apple + ground almonds + artificial sweetened juice). Real horseradish and parsley OK (hoping the soapy washed parley will be Covid negative! - some members of the synagogue have expressed doubts about purchasing parsley). Elijah will probably not be in attendance, nor will either Seder include any kind of Afikomin search.

My five lb boxes of matzoh are undoubtedly destined for the food bank down the road (they were free, per $25 expenditures at super market. Decided not to get any more). These nights will NOT be like other (Haggadah) nights! Shrug

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
These nights will NOT be like other (Haggadah) nights!
True that. And we have a new plague to add to the list.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I ordered some matzo ball soup mix.

Manischewitz.

I'm sure it will be delightful.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I ordered some matzo ball soup mix.

Manischewitz.

I'm sure it will be delightful.
You know the story about that?

A young couple get married.

At the end of the first week, the wife decides to make kneidlach for her new husband. They are delightful and serves him a bowl of hot broth and a kneidl. He tucks into the soup with abandon and after the third bite he says, "honey, this is a really nice kneidl... but... it's not like my mother made."

She is crestfallen, but resolves to do better. So the next week, she calls her mother and asks how to make the best kneidlach. Her mother says to measure all of the ingredients very carefully, because it's all about getting the proportions just right. The young wife measures everything exactly and makes truly delightful kneidlach. Full of pride, she serves the bowl to her husband. He digs in and after a few bites says, "my darling, this is a really great kneidl... but... you know, it not like my mother made."

She is crushed. She calls her grandmother and asks, "Bubby, what is the secret to making perfect kneidlach?" Her grandmother says, "well, the secret is the water has to be very cold when you mix the batter. Measure out the water and put it in the fridge overnight." The wife does exactly that, and makes the kneidlach. Full of hope, she serves the soup to her husband. The kneidl is so light a fluffy, it is practically floating a half an inch above the surface. He eats the soup with relish and says, "wow, look at this, the kneidl is practically floating over the soup, this is amazing... but... you know... (here it comes) it's just not like my mother made."

Now the wife is beyond distraught. The next week she's measuring out the ingredients and the top falls off the box of matzo meal and half the box falls into the bowl. "Well, shoot... whatever... to heck with it." She mixes up the batter and makes the kneidlach. That evening, she serves it to her husband. He tries to stick a spoon into the kneidl and bends the handle. He finally chips off a chunk of kneidl, pops it in his mouth and chews on it for several minutes. He smiles and says, "now this... *this* is a kneidl like my mother made!"

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com