well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Before and after photos of the Rose Garden
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Before and after photos of the Rose Garden
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I'm not a fan:

[edit] I'm seeing it described as "Fascist-Moderne". Straight lines, cheaply produced, nearly devoid of color, exposes lots of cold, hard masonry.

The original garden was designed by Jackie O.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The after looks like something an amateur would do. The earlier design was more complex and interesting.

I liked the flowering trees in the before, and the warmer color palette. Also the varying heights of the plantings.

But then I've had to live with that cool color palette because that's what you mostly find in plants that thrive in shade, which I have in abundance. I couldn't imagine planting those colors in full sun. You need vivid colors to stand up to the light!

Plus I'm in the "warm neutrals" camp and the current trend of grey in home decorating isn't my preferred color....too cool.....the pale purples and whites are blah....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Did you notice that the sidewalk is too narrow to walk side by side?

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's an odd place for a concrete sidewalk. It's boring visually and as you point out, doesn't invite people to walk side by side.

The more inviting walk is through the covered portico (not sure if that's the right architectural term).

A bit off topic...

The English Walled Garden is my favorite at the Chicago Botanic Garden.

https://www.chicagobotanic.org/gardens/englishwalled

I also love this elm allée:

I haven't been up there in years. I should re-up my membership and start visiting regularly....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's an overview of what was done and why.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02...-redesign/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Maybe also functional, perhaps the Secret Service wants those “clean lines” with very little for anything, man or drone, to hide behind. Just speculating, of course.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Did you notice that the sidewalk is too narrow to walk side by side?

It is not a walkway, it is a utility trench.

"Not only will the lighting be updated for more TV-friendly viewing, there also will be an entirely modernized and updated system of utility cables and power, placed beneath the pallets of a new limestone border surrounding the grassy area of the garden." (from CNN article)

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That elm grove is spectacular!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There is an photo of it from above that I actually like. I think Bernard linked to it somewhere - facebook maybe.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This photo. I like this - I like the cement lines, I like the geometry - it goes with the architecture. (And I’m a wild multicolored stuff as many plants as possible cottage gardener type Big Grin )

And honestly, lets face it - it doesn’t matter WHAT Melania changes, there are going to be a lot of people that hate or are super critical of what she does just because of who she is married to.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hate Melania so I was all prepared to hate this, but I don't. I actually really like it.

Leaving

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Still a no for me.

And it has nothing to do with Melania or who she's married to.

Shrug

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm an old sourpuss, but I'm not crazy about either one.

Yes, I really like the flowering trees Jackie put in (who in heaven would chop down such lovely trees?). OTOH the flowers - at least in the season they were photographed - seem a bit garish.

Melania's Rose Garden (assuming - perhaps prejudicially - she designed it), however, seems really dull. When I hear "Rose Garden" even if there aren't any actual roses, I expect to see at least SOME flowers.

What kind of garden is that? Somehow this is not only dull, but concrete overall. Kremlin style.

My taste may be overblown, but I'd would think to see blossoms for uplift and in colors that complement each other. Also, for seasonal variety. Perhaps in other seasons it's more varied and appealing.

I like British style. Wonder what Jack would think of it. He's a master gardener.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Really hard to tell what it looks like. Looking at more photos of the old design, I have to agree with Amanda: Not sure I like either one.

Lots of views of the old designs, going back over 100 years.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.or...unds/rose-garden.htm

My faves of the old designs:

More views of the new design:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2...or-first-lady-speech

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Yeah, I hate Melania so I was all prepared to hate this, but I don't. I actually really like it.

Leaving

I do, too in a different context. I would prefer it elsewhere..the homage to history is very important at the White House and I feel that this was a bit of slash and burn of the past...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post