well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Does That Mean OK or White Power?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does That Mean OK or White Power?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
Here's the Southern Poverty Law Center's report.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate...ust-right-wing-troll

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Interesting. While it's talking about the OK sign, primarily, the general methods have been in place for years. It's frustrating.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Where did this even come from?

My entire life that was ‘ok’ until twitter decided to blame that woman on the Kavanaugh committee for meaning white power.

When it came out the woman was born in Mexico I thought everyone rolled their eyes at twitter and moved on.

What did I miss?

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seems the people who think they are fighting this are more or less its creators. Or rather it's popularizers.

It reminds me of the 'march' on the anniversary of Charlottesville. A dozen misfit marchers and 500 press pumping in the oxygen and shining the klieg lights.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So, when I was reading about this/this thread a few days ago, I was thinking to myself "when do people do the ok sign? I never do the ok sign..." (although I do believe I do the thumbs up sign kind of a lot).

So then in class today (teaching Japanese business case studies) I was trying to convey something and students weren't getting it and I was explaining one was a negative connotation and another wasn't, and I used the damn ok sign and immediately panicked because omg ok=white power!

Good grief! suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So, every time I'm underwater I have to avoid the standard OK symbol or face woke wrath ...

OK is a standard diving symbol

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post