well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Friend has something like Tourette's.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friend has something like Tourette's.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
I say it is like Tourette's because I don't know what it is.
DS has lost jobs because of his potty mouth.
Think DS is getting worse.
Weeks ago he was talking to a woman who is a mutual acquaintance.
The woman runs a cleaning service and hires several people.
He suggested hiring Koreans and went on to say they could do something nasty and sexual to them.
She filed a harassment claim. He has a court date on September 18th.
Today he told me he saw two men from an ambulance setting or a gurney. There was a man lying on the ground. He walked up to one of the men and said, "Was it a masturbation accident?"
The man on the ground got up moved around. DS then went back and asked the question of the ambulance man again.

What sort of counselor or whatever does he need? I am not sure he acknowledges that he has a problem.
He has lost jobs because of his mouth.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he needs to see a neurologist. Has he always been this way, or is it something relatively new?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Sounds like he needs to see a neurologist. Has he always been this way, or is it something relatively new?

Have known him for eight years. He has been bad. Think he is getting worse.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a strange problem.

I’ve got nothing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

What sort of counselor or whatever does he need? I am not sure he acknowledges that he has a problem.
He has lost jobs because of his mouth.

CHAS I think you know as well as I do, that if he doesn't believe he has a problem no counselor (or advice for same from a friend) will help.

If he DID acknowledge it was neurological, then there might be some hope - for one, carrying a card explaining his problem with its name and a description, might help after he's spouted out a "mouthful".

Not sure what treatment can help for those who want help (and need it - he clearly does. At least, if he wants to hold down a job.)

It's really an especially interesting problem to cope with and handle legally in these days of extreme social sensitivity. (Heh! What if Trump tried to have recourse to such a diagnosis? It sure would fit, but wouldn't do much for me in regards to forgiving his nasty mouthing off, sexually and insults.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
??
5. Verbal Dysdecorum Patients Can't Censor Themselves

This syndrome was first observed in a Vietnam veteran who demonstrated exactly what happens when you don't constantly censor yourself at your job: You get fired. You get fired over and over until finally someone sends you to a doctor. This particular case was steered towards psychology — rather than an etiquette book — because the soldier had been shot in the head years before. The right front part of the brain has something in it that allows people to consider their words and quietly keep the socially unhelpful ones inside. Other injuries to this area of the brain have caused similar responses. Some injuries expand beyond the verbal into actual social dysdecorum, which includes inappropriate and ill-considered actions, verging on complete sociopathy.