well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Prescription eyeglass industry
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prescription eyeglass industry
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Charles Dahan knows from first-hand experience how badly people get ripped off when buying eyeglasses.

He was once one of the leading suppliers of frames to LensCrafters, before the company was purchased by optical behemoth Luxottica. He also built machines that improved the lens-manufacturing process.

In other words, Dahan, 70, knows the eyewear business from start to finish. And he doesn’t like what’s happened.

“There is no competition in the industry, not any more,” he told me. “Luxottica bought everyone. They set whatever prices they please.”

https://www.latimes.com/busine...-20190305-story.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I don't think I'm emotionally prepared to read this!

I have worn glasses since grade school (3rd grade maybe?? 5th grade? Pretty much forever). I wear them all day, regardless of activity, and have since the first time I started wearing them. And my one stint with contacts taught me that I hate contacts. suave

So I am totally dependent on glasses (as many of us are). And trying to get good, thin, lightweight lens with progressive prescription, the right kind of anti-glare coating etc, is a freaking nightmare now.

And there *is* a difference between the super high-end lens and the more middle of the road ones (no comment about the PC monitor lens and all of the most recent developments). But it seems like such a scam at a certain point...

Anyway, maybe I'll read that article this evening before bed, and then lie awake feeling angry about capitalism. ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
From the article:
quote:
The company’s owned and licensed brands include Armani, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, DKNY, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Persol, Polo Ralph Lauren, Ray-Ban, Tiffany, Valentino, Vogue and Versace.

My first pair of glasses I bought when returning to the states were Coach, then Valentino, and now my regular glasses are Versace and my PC/piano glasses are Ralph Lauren.

Sigh.

But ultimately it's not even the frames that break the bank, it's the damn lenses. Ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch...e-eyeglass-industry/

We order all our prescription eyeglasses from Zeni optical.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, I order from Zenni also, but I don't wear glasses fulltime. At least, not yet.

They are fine for what I need and much cheaper. Just make sure you get all the measurements you need on your prescription. There's one (the distance between your pupils?) that is routinely left off unless you ask for it.

I also have friends who swear by Costco for glasses.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch...e-eyeglass-industry/

We order all our prescription eyeglasses from Zeni optical.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

I use Zenni Optical, too.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We do Costco. They are routinely about half the price of the ones you get at the optometrist.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I buy glasses once every 5-10 years. Even the expensive ones are cheap when you think of it that way.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Like jon, I buy glasses maybe every 5 years or so. But plunking down seven or eight bills for a good progressive, anti-reflective coating, and a modest frame is insane when you consider the markup.

I did Costco for years when I wore single vision for distance. They were very good, and inexpensive.

Once I got to middle age I needed to either take off my glasses all the time to read or switch to a bifocal or progressive. Tried Costco progressives (they only sold one, the Essilor Ovation) and they didn't work for me at all, and I can usually get used to pretty much anything.

Went back to taking my glasses off to read but after a few years and worsening presbyopia broke down and tried a premium progressive (Definity) with a Crizal anti-reflective coating. They're great. Coating is way better than Costco and there's no comparison on the progressive; worth every extra penny to me.

Never tried Zenni but for progressives I'm a little leery.

Costco has changed their progressive and I was debating whether to try it. their optical shop policy used to be 30 day no-questions-asked trial. Now you're stuck with them unless they made an error when they made them up. Still might be worth it.

Vision insurance through VSP can help bring down the cost quite a bit. It's crazy to go into an optical shop and pay full freight.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Another failure of unfettered capitalism.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Zenni didn't work well for my progressives, but are fine for my active wear sport glasses where I don't need really crisp sight.

I had luck with a local Warby Parker store - I think even if you get the pupilary distance correct, the up or down centering is hard to do without a person fitting the glasses.

I recently got the app called topology that claims to offer custom frames - takes a bunch of pictures of your head and then the frames are custom made to your nose, eyes, head... Might be worth a try for my next pair!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great info, ron. Will keep it for future reference.

I didn't know there was a Warby Parker store in our area.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I tried Zenni once, but I’m really hard to fit, and they didn’t fit! (Not much of a bridge on my nose.)

Costco doesn’t do the super high index progressive lenses that make my glasses bearable (I’m really really really nearsighted). But I’ve had sunglasses made there, where my vision doesn’t need to be perfect. I may do sunglass lenses there again.

We have vision insurance this year, first time in 9 years. But the place I usually go isn’t on the plan. They usually gave me 20% without blinking because we had no vision insurance. I’m sure they were stll making money.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I just spent $375 on a pair if progressives. From Warby.

I used to use Costco, but the price is about the same. I think the Warbys are more stylish and have never broken. My Costco ones (Fendi) broke within a year.

I got frames that cost $150 instead of their basic ones that cost $95. Add on progressive lenses and ultra thin and they get expensive.

I also like their warranty and return policy. They will replace scratched lenses for a year, and you can get a full refund in 30 days. Better yet, my last pair started to feel a little loose after about six months. When they couldn't make me happy, they just let me pick out a free replacement.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post