well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pure pleasure!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pure pleasure!
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
I mentioned in the book reading thread that I am reading the Swafford biography of Brahms. Swafford is himself a composer as well as writer/historian. One of the most interesting parts of the biography are his analyses of Brahms' compositions.

So that i can better understand what he's talking about, I've been googling each piece and then listening on my phone as I read. Swafford isn't crazy about Brahms' string quartets, but I think the A minor is just glorious. Like much of Brahms, it can be intolerable if not played well, but I found this wonderful live performance by the Jerusalem Quartet in the Marinsky Theater, and I just had to share.

Something to inspire and elevate in our chaotic times..

Brahms by the Jerusalem

Especially over the moon hearing the final movement (unfortunately there are ads, but it's worth dealing with them to hear this.).

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21341 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Listened to it last night. Beautiful.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Will listen! Heard good things about Swafford’s books. He shows up in my FB feed now and then.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post