well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why Do People Hate Vegans?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do People Hate Vegans?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I was in a Thai restaurant recently and there was a first date happening at the next table over. The woman spent twenty minutes very loudly reading every item on the menu out loud and explaining to her date which ones were "fit for humans to eat" and why. Then she spent several minutes grilling the waitress about where their vegetables come from and are they organic and, I am not kidding, "cruelty free" and grown and harvested by people who are paid fair wages.

I don't recall what she finally ordered and ate, but I was going to suggest that she go outside and nibble on the dandelions at the edge of the parking lot.

I also wonder if there was ever a second date.

Free entertainment is not easy to find.
Wonder whether her date vanished before the food arrived.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Those who don't eat meat or whatever always sound like those who don't do certain things because their religions require it.
Is the denial a religion substitute.

Must agree, why try to make veggies look like ribeye. Make it look like snowflakes or whatever.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There's a Thai restaurant in Seattle called Bamboo Garden.

Check out their menu:
http://www.bamboo-garden.co/dinnercombos.html

"Chicken Chow Mein", "Mongolian Beef", "Beef & Broccoli", "General Tso's Chicken"...

I've eaten there many times. All the "meat" things are made of soy. And they are salty as all get out.

Why? There are so many wonderful vegetables out there. Just eat them.

Sheesh.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
(Waiting for jon to start a copycat thread.)

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed. If you want meat, eat meat. If you don't want meat, don't eat it. But don't make all sorts of processed faux meat substitutes and tell yourself that you're being healthy. I've often wondered what the carbon footprint is for those synthetic meat substitutes.

I've never met a meat substitute that was better than veggies. Disclaimer: I haven't had one of those beyond burger things.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't understand the craziness over the new non-meat burgers. It seems to me they are designed more for meat-eaters who are becoming scared of eating meat, not so much for vegetarian/vegans. (Do you think vegetarians really want a "burger that bleeds?")

I don't mind the old Boca Burgers and their ilk. They're a quick way to have lunch.

Nina, try jackfruit sometime. It's a true, unprocessed vegetable that just happens to have the eerie texture of meat. Seitan (wheat gluten) comes close in texture, but doesn't try to match meat's flavor. Seitan has been around so long it's its own thing, even though it's often dressed up as mock duck, mock chicken, etc.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The high gluten in veggie burgers and Grape Nuts cause me to have a hacking cough and sometimes throwing up.
This has happened in restaurants. Not sure what has caused it. I has started with the first bite, but it usually has happened later.
It does help clear the area in a crowded place.
I had Grape Nuts at bedtime for years. The trouble started. Would do all the coughing and such the next morning. Quit the Grape Nuts and the morning attacks quit.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I was at a post-concert reception last night where there were tables of crudités and such that people could choose for themselves.

I picked up a wedge of bread that contained what I thought was hummus. It was chicken. Hey, it was a low-light situation.

I had to taste it to know that it wasn't hummus. Wow, chicken is pretty meaty!

Oh, dear. I have had that happen too. I cannot begin to communicate how icky meat tastes when you haven't had it in years. And yet, there I am in a dim lighting situation and no reading glasses handy, cheerfully picking up some tasty morsel only to find out (1) it is meat, and (2) there is no gracious way to spit it out.

Cindy -- who has handed half-eaten "meat surprise" morsels to Mr. Sphinx for him to finish

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Yeah, I don't understand the craziness over the new non-meat burgers. It seems to me they are designed more for meat-eaters who are becoming scared of eating meat, not so much for vegetarian/vegans. (Do you think vegetarians really want a "burger that bleeds?")

Oh, I get it.

Those products are for meat eaters who want to be able to offer their vegetarian guests an alternative. I have no interest in these heavily-processed options. I mean, what is so special about a hot dog or a meat patty that I need my vegetables mutilated to look like them?

I don't speak for all vegetarians, but carnivores, please. Do not feel like you have to buy these burger substitutes. Just put out some sides that don't have meat in them and I'll be just fine.

And, carnivores, while I've got you . . .

We really have to figure out something regarding shared plates/family style situations. The carnivores order the chicken, pork, beef, seafood. The one vegetarian orders a veggie dish.

And then the carnivores dig into the veggie dish, and there's not enough for the vegetarian.

Carnivores, can't one of you order a veggie dish also so that I don't have to stab you with my fork when you try to take some of the eggplant curry?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And then the carnivores dig into the veggie dish, and there's not enough for the vegetarian.

Carnivores, can't one of you order a veggie dish also so that I don't have to stab you with my fork when you try to take some of the eggplant curry?

HAHA! So very true!!!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wait. !m lost. Seriously. Wait.

So if I’m at a Thanksgiving deal and the vegan side looks awesome I’m not supposed to take any? And if I do it’s my fault? And there is note on it that it’s for vegans only? WTF? You can’t be assed to make enough for everyone?

This is is how Trump wins 2020.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No, I’m talking about situations like ordering Chinese. You know, where everyone orders one dish and you share.

If you have five carnivores and they each order meat and I order veggie, I will only get a scoop of veggies if the carnivores eat the veggies.

Cindy — who wind up eating a lot of rice

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
No, I’m talking about situations like ordering Chinese. You know, where everyone orders one dish and you share.

If you have five carnivores and they each order meat and I order veggie, I will only get a scoop of veggies if the carnivores eat the veggies.

Cindy — who wind up eating a lot of rice

I think I’m supposed to make allowances. Let me consider that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You could be rude, or to put it differently, defend your veg... as soon as the eggplant curry arrives, grab it and scoop half of it onto your plate, then leave the rest for the carnis to fight over.

Not that I've ever done that.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Some restaurants seem to enjoy the challenge of making a veggie dish, so when this gorgeous-looking veg creation comes to the table, even the carnivores want some. You often hear "Why didn't I order that?!?"