well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    3D printers to make masks and other equipment

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3D printers to make masks and other equipment
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Earlier this month, the CEO of an Italian 3D-printing startup learned that a hospital near the center of the coronavirus outbreak in Italy was running short on a small but crucial component: the valves that connect respirators to oxygen masks.

The company that makes the valves couldn’t keep up with the demand, and doctors were in search of a solution.

“When we heard about the shortage, we got in touch with the hospital immediately. We printed some prototypes. The hospital tested them and told us they worked,” the CEO, Cristian Fracassi, told Reuters. “So we printed 100 valves, and I delivered them personally.”

Similar efforts have popped up around the world. In Liverpool, New York, Isaac Budmen and Stephanie Keefe were printing more than 300 face shields for workers at a coronavirus test site in Syracuse this week, according to The Post-Standard of Syracuse. Budmen and Keefe, who run a business, Budmen Industries, selling custom 3D printers out of their home, turned to a fleet of 16 3D printers in their basement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...pment-shortages.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
We have a local "maker's space" that is doing this..They have got a pattern, did a prototype and got approval from two local hospitals.

The great part is that the mask is reusable with a replaceable filter. A local hardware store has donated the material for the filters.

They are now crowd sourcing 3D printers as one mask takes 2 hours to produce..So they need many printers going at all hours to make a dent.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The DIY approach to fighting a pandemic.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Much like bandage wrapping, metal scrap collection and the knitting for the troops my grandmother did during WWII.

I still have the knitting patterns, BTW. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Much like bandage wrapping, metal scrap collection and the knitting for the troops my grandmother did during WWII.

I still have the knitting patterns, BTW. Yes

It's a good point, and many have made it. But, the US government was in charge of those efforts. Unfortunately, the US government seems almost absent in its response.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post