well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    French woman, long-time resident of Montreal, has bid for citizenship denied on grounds of inadequate mastery of French

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French woman, long-time resident of Montreal, has bid for citizenship denied on grounds of inadequate mastery of French
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Having read this several times, I still can't believe it or understand what the (real) rationale of the immigration committee denying her application is.

I'll bet this is causing quite a brouhaha in France.

That she even took a $200 exam testing her French is just the frosting on the cake. Reminded me of a temporary snafu I encountered in Paris getting approved as a French-English translator for a large firm.

The paperwork minder insisted I produce a graduation certificate from a relevant institute proving I speak English. After sputtering a bit, I was literally speechless when she persisted.

French would be immigrant to Quebec refused because her French isn't good enough

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
It's just another reminder that however horrendous the US attitude toward "foreigners" may seem, over the long haul we've been one of the most welcoming places on earth for immigrants.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I’m so embarrassed this is happening in Canada. However, it’s important to note that Quebec uses our Notwithstanding Clause to protect the French language in lots of ways. There are so many places where “except in Quebec” has to be added because their laws and procedures are so different from the rest of Canada.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post